News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Lots of cities use downtown/midtown/uptown, such as Atlanta, St. Louis, even Detroit. No one accuses them of trying to copy NYC.

Lots of cities use downtown/midtown/uptown, such as Atlanta, St. Louis, even Detroit. No one accuses them of trying to copy NYC.

I'm not sure how you know whether they are accused of copying NYC or not, but anyway, in the global culture, down/mid/uptown is associated with NYC and certainly with the USA. It's not used in the UK or Australia, for example. So why should a Canadian city bother with it? It's clear from this thread there is no consensus on what these terms mean in the Toronto context, so they are not really useful here, and we already have our own names for our neighbourhoods.

North York is the suburbs.
Scarborough is part of Toronto too, yet nobody considers it downtown/midtown/uptown, right? It is just a suburb.

It really upsets me when people call Scarborough, etc, suburbs. No matter what area in Toronto we come from, we still live in Toronto, and what affects one of us, affects all of us.

(Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.)

It really upsets me when people call Scarborough, etc, suburbs. No matter what area in Toronto we come from, we still live in Toronto, and what affects one of us, affects all of us.

(Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.)

WHy? being a suburb or not depends on the built of an area, not whether it is politically part of a city or not.
For example, East York and Rosedale are suburbs too. They are simply closer to the core. One is blue collar and one is affluent, but still they are suburbs.

North York is the suburbs.
Scarborough is part of Toronto too, yet nobody considers it downtown/midtown/uptown, right? It is just a suburb.

It's all relative. I was raised in Scarborough, but I now live downtown. Whenever I go back to Scarborough to visit people, I say I'm going "uptown". A lot of people I know from Scarborough talk this way. Of course, in Scarborough, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

Softee:

Rosedale WAS a suburb, ditto Annex, Parkdale, The Beach, Leaside, etc - that past was reflected in the architecture and urban fabric even though it's been integrated to the city at large.

JWBF:

Yes and no - in the sense that to some the very act of living in those areas to get away from the bad bad city and "those people" - nevermind the irony of that given the changing fortunes of the inner burbs. It is also reflected in the politics of these areas - which I interpret as protest votes against inevitable changes residents are none to happy about.

AoD

Last edited:
I consider "downtown" as being bounded by Bathurst St., Lake Ontario, Don River, and Bloor St.

I consider "midtown" as between Bloor and Mt. Pleasant Cemetery.

I consider "uptown" between Old Toronto's northernmost boundary and Mt. Pleasant Cemetery.

I do not consider York and East York as suburbs. I consider those two as similar to Old Toronto, despite not being part of Toronto until 1998.

I consider Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough as "old suburbs."

I consider the inner 905 as the "suburbs."

Last edited:
WHy? being a suburb or not depends on the built of an area, not whether it is politically part of a city or not.
For example, East York and Rosedale are suburbs too. They are simply closer to the core. One is blue collar and one is affluent, but still they are suburbs.

If you want to determine if an area is a suburb or not on residential or industrial/commercial development then that makes things quite harder. Scarborough, for example, being a former city has it's own "downtown" which meets the same standards as Old Toronto.

Yes and no - in the sense that to some the very act of living in those areas to get away from the bad bad city and "those people" - nevermind the irony of that given the changing fortunes of the inner burbs. It is also reflected in the politics of these areas - which I interpret as protest votes against inevitable changes residents are none to happy about.

That's the rub, it all comes down to neighbourhoods, no matter the "political division". Some will always want a separation to point fingers, and assign blame for not getting what they want; case in point, the Ford brothers, they love to use labels.

I usually consider Uptown: North York Centre.. Midtown: Yonge and St. Clair/Eglinton and Downtown: the official boundaries...

However I do feel like we're trying to be something we're not when using some of these designations. Particularly Uptown, which historically belonged to Yonge and Bloor. I much rather use names to describe places, such as Yorkvillle = Yonge and Bloor, but with Yonge+StC/Eg it becomes confusing can we call it Forest Hill or is Midtown more appropriate?

I feel that the city should begin creating marketable identities for employment centres that currently lack definable ones. Especially "Midtown."

I usually consider Uptown: North York Centre.. Midtown: Yonge and St. Clair/Eglinton and Downtown: the official boundaries...

However I do feel like we're trying to be something we're not when using some of these designations. Particularly Uptown, which historically belonged to Yonge and Bloor. I much rather use names to describe places, such as Yorkvillle = Yonge and Bloor, but with Yonge+StC/Eg it becomes confusing can we call it Forest Hill or is Midtown more appropriate?

I feel that the city should begin creating marketable identities for employment centres that currently lack definable ones. Especially "Midtown."

except Yonge/St Clair or Eg is not Forest Hill, which is largely between Avenue Road and Bathurst.

I agree that all these Yonge/something name is tiring and should not be served as neighbourhood names. An intersection is not a neighhourhood, or a whatever-town.

This is how I "instinctively" saw the boundaries, speaking as someone who recently moved here with no real concept of the locally established boundaries/neighborhoods.

We could define it this way:

Uptown: North of Eglinton to just north of Lawrence (yeah, I know, not a big area) if we are using the old City of Toronto as a border - North of Lawrence is where Toronto ends and North York begins.

Midtown: Just south of Eglinton (where Minto Midtown is) to just North of Bloor

University District: South of Bloor to just south of College

Downtown: Just south of College to Front

Harbourfront: Anything below

The east-west borders: A little further west than Spadina, but the eastern border depends on the part of the city. For example, the University District's eastern border would only go as far east as a bit past Yonge, while the midtown-uptown borders stretch out to a bit past Bayview).

It doesn't have to be a rectangle or square.

Thoughts?

We could define it this way:

Uptown: North of Eglinton to just north of Lawrence (yeah, I know, not a big area) if we are using the old City of Toronto as a border - North of Lawrence is where Toronto ends and North York begins.

Midtown: Just south of Eglinton (where Minto Midtown is) to just North of Bloor

University District: South of Bloor to just south of College

Downtown: Just south of College to Front

Harbourfront: Anything below

The east-west borders: A little further west than Spadina, but the eastern border depends on the part of the city. For example, the University District's eastern border would only go as far east as a bit past Yonge, while the midtown-uptown borders stretch out to a bit past Bayview).

It doesn't have to be a rectangle or square.

Thoughts?

The university district is so wrong as UofT is only west of Bay St.

It doesn't have to be a square, but what's the east and west boundaries of your so called midtown and uptown?

The university district is so wrong as UofT is only west of Bay St.

It doesn't have to be a square, but what's the east and west boundaries of your so called midtown and uptown?

Ryerson says hello, and maybe the 'University District' can run to Dundas on the east? Then OCADU says, yeah, Dundas feels about right on the west side, too...

Back