News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Marko, is the first image from the Sparks Street Mall?
Yes.

I've created several variations of this layout, but keep coming back to the long pedestrian street running east-west for approx 1,200 feet. Reducing the street widths from those shown is likely better, as is adding some pedestrian side streets/walkways, even a north-south equivalent.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the parking garage w/ facade idea? Too phony?

Better that it be disguised with a facade than built with no redeeming qualities. Parking garages, when unable to be built below ground, are a necessary evil, and it's better to put on a facade to make them blend in a bit more.

It works in Waterloo (as shown in this photo from another thread on the forum):

00009.jpg

New tree-lined boulevard #12 should be realigned westward to be as close to Citygate and the office towers as possible, and so that is it properly aligned with the pedestrian walkway from Palgrave Dr. And being so minor, making it a tree lined boulevard is probably not a good idea.

New street #10/13 should also be moved to the west to that it can be properly aligned with Joan Dr and the private road on Square One to the west of the parking garage. If anything this road is the one that should be a boulevard since it would essentially be an extension of Princess Royal Drive, and possibly Joan Drive as well, if the school can be demolished (my former school btw).

I know the parking garage in Waterloo, as I lived there until I was 19 and then for 2 years again around 2001. The eight is good, but it still looks too much like a garage - they should have put in ground floor retail facing King St. Further, Imagine if it were broken up into 2 or 3 different sections, each with its own finish? If done right, you wouldn't know it was a garage at all, aside from the entrances.

doady - that was one of the first variations I had - see image below. It works that way, I was just trying to avoid that curve bit. I actually don't think any more tree lined boulevards are needed, having driven Living Arts Dr again today - it would just bee too big. I've highlighted in yellow circles some of the focal points I was thinking it would be nice line up with. The SQ1 entrance facing south along a street, with the East-West promenade (a proper "Hazel's Walk"?) allowing the Bay to do something nice at the east end, while City Hall is visible towards the west. Whether they'd put something there is another story, but I think an LED screen wouldn't be so bad - it could promote city or Living Arts events, with some tasteful advertising sold as well.

attachment.php

The promenade should be full of sights and light. Not quite Nanjing Road or anything, but the 3rd~5th floors of the building would ideally feature some sort of art or unique signage (other than LED screens). Each "facade owner" would lease out their signage space, which makes it a little more messy but also much more "real".

Walking%20Street%201.JPG

OK, perhaps a more subtle version of Nanjing, complete with questionable looking "friends" offering you "watch? handbag? dvd?"

Attachments

• MCC-idea-2.jpg
    MCC-idea-2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 298
Better examples...

Third Street in Santa Monica. Scale of street is exactly what I have in mind, bt a little more height on the buildings"
usca43405.jpeg

third-street-promenade.jpg

1499712263_d6b0ac1137.jpg

707314-Third_Street_Promenade-Santa_Monica.jpg

Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich
df10272008p.jpg

Guess:
68011_l.jpg

You can't have anything like that in Toronto which is publicly owned.

Why, the homeless and beggars would make that place a no go zone in less then two weeks... :D

My comment was actually about how Toronto allows people to panhandle on the street..

I have been to dozens of cities across North America and only in Vancouver is this a problem...

A modest proposal: Rezone all residential areas surrounding the MCC (and Dundas perhaps as well) for mixed use with a max of six stories. Allow retail uses on the ground floor, with office/industrial or residential above. Keep the streets, but pull the new buildings to the property line. Occassionally the dead end cul-de-sacs could loop through to the next "block." That way, some of the mature trees would be kept as well as creating an instant curving intimate streetscape. Perhaps every ten years, or however long a "block" takes to redevelop, only allow one area to densify at a time.

The goal: Organically create a denser urban form away from the superblocks and highrises of MCC. You'd only have to eventually bulldoze long narrow lines of homes for additional sidestreets--say like the spacing between Bloor/Harbord/College/Dundas/Queen.

Am I a brilliant wanna-be planner?

Last edited:
I think three stories should be the max outside of MCC. We should not be allowing apartments or office buildings with elevators to be built, only walk-up apartments and offices should be allowed. Pretty much every major corridor can be redeveloped like this, but they should start with Burnahmthorpe for sure.

A modest proposal: Rezone all residential areas surrounding the MCC (and Dundas perhaps as well) for mixed use with a max of six stories. Allow retail uses on the ground floor, with office/industrial or residential above. Keep the streets, but pull the new buildings to the property line. Occassionally the dead end cul-de-sacs could loop through to the next "block." That way, some of the mature trees would be kept as well as creating an instant curving intimate streetscape. Perhaps every ten years, or however long a "block" takes to redevelop, only allow one area to densify at a time.

The goal: Organically create a denser urban form away from the superblocks and highrises of MCC. You'd only have to eventually bulldoze long narrow lines of homes for additional sidestreets--say like the spacing between Bloor/Harbord/College/Dundas/Queen.

Am I a brilliant wanna-be planner?
6 stories won't be enough to offset the cost of the properties that need to be bulldozed. This could work along Burnhamthorpe or Queensway, where only one row of homes backing onto the major road needs to go (as I suggested here previously, 3~4 stories, maybe 5 max at corners) - but high-rise is the only way to get private enterprise to spend the money to make it happen on a bigger scale.

I even think that the Kaneff buildings will go this same way one day. In one of my aerial layouts for the MCC area, I took out the 3 Kaneff buildings closest to B'thorpe an Hurontario, and replaced them with 8 towers of the Absolute/Elle/Onyx sort. That ugly Arista building just east of there could be replaced by 4 buildings. In both cases, podiums and stacked towns would ring the street level and in the case of Arista, tier off towards the ravine, as they do on the other side. See attachment.

Attachments

• Kaneff-idea-1.jpg
    Kaneff-idea-1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 253
Downtown Mississauga

I had an informal meeting Friday with a senior member of the project team for Downtown 21 and I believe once the official plan is released to the public you will all be blown away by what is being proposed.

First off, two of the GTA’s major residential and commerical developers are involved, in addition to a new Dubai based development company are all at the table. Together with the city intense planning is taking place on a coordinated development over 5 major properties in the identified new Mainstreet Neighbourhood. I suspect a new public-private Downtown Mississauga Development Corporation will be launched to quickly guide the project along quickly.

The most exciting proposal for the new district is this policy of banning any retail chains from locating along the new mainstreet. An innovate new program will be designed to attract and support a series of diverse, locally owned businesses, with a strong focus on ethnic resturaunts to open in the new district.

Finally, I can also confirm that a new grocery store will anchor one of the phases of the project.

Louroz

From Vision to Reality: The Birth of Mississauga's Downtown

For those who are interested and free tonight (Tuesday - September 22) The Mississauga Heritage Foundation and the Mississauga Library is hosting a free lecture outlining the history of Mississauga's Downtown Core.

Featuring Ron Duquette, former Communications Directors of S.B.McLaughlin Associates - developers of Square One Shopping Centre and the starting point for Mississauga's new city centre.

Central Library - Noel Ryan Auditorium
301 Burnhamthorpe Road West
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Admission is Free

Louroz

Back