News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
I am sure it would at some point be extended to Eglinton. it would only make sense. But we all know how far in the future that will be,

I am sure it would at some point be extended to Eglinton. it would only make sense. But we all know how far in the future that will be,

I think Steve Munro has argued that it really needs to go to Eglinton (East) if it's going to effectively relieve the Yonge line. If it only goes to Pape & Danforth, it'll intercept some riders coming in on the Danforth line, but that's about it -- and even then, only those people who can be enticed to transfer at Pape rather than at Yonge. Whereas if it goes to Eglinton, it'll also intercept riders coming in on the Eglinton LRT and the Lawrence East bus, thus freeing up space on the Yonge line.

Any subway that adequately replaces the King (or Queen) car would need to have close stop spacing, which in turn would make it a pretty poor DRL (which is intended to divert longer-distance trips away from Bloor-Yonge). I agree that the ideal way to serve the long-distance "relief" function of the DRL would be to build GO into an S-Bahn type of system, but GO is apparently not interested in that (at least not within the 416). So we seem to be stuck with the idea of a DRL subway that sorta-but-not-really replaces a streetcar line and sorta-but-not-really provides a faster trip downtown than Bloor + Yonge.

But who knows what the TTC's DRT study will conclude.

I don't mean that the DRT/DRL should have 100m stop spacing to replace the 504. 500-600m spacing like Bloor would suffice for the section directly under King. There will be people that complain about losing the streetcar but sometimes you have to lose something to get something.

I think Steve Munro has argued that it really needs to go to Eglinton (East) if it's going to effectively relieve the Yonge line. If it only goes to Pape & Danforth, it'll intercept some riders coming in on the Danforth line, but that's about it -- and even then, only those people who can be enticed to transfer at Pape rather than at Yonge. Whereas if it goes to Eglinton, it'll also intercept riders coming in on the Eglinton LRT and the Lawrence East bus, thus freeing up space on the Yonge line.

TransitCityMap.jpg

Transit City did that.

It's probably already been mentioned, but the comment that a Queen DRL would be too far from the workers downtown isn't really true. It's only slightly north of the financial district, which isn't exactly a big distance. But there's a lot more to downtown employment than the financial district. There's City Hall, the courts, office buildings on Queen, converted warehouses, College Park, Queen's Park, the hospitals, UofT, Ryerson, government buildings.... All of these employment hubs are quite a hike from Union and would be much better served by a Queen alignment. Let the electrified GO trains serve Union, a new subway should be to the north.

How much debt do those German and French cities have? Does Madrid get back more of the money they pay out than Toronto does?
Does it really matter? The point is Toronto is well behind other comparable cities and its rapid transit system is underdeveloped at best.

Ryerson is at Dundus, Queens Park at Queens Park subway, hospitals at St. Patrick and Queens Park, College Park has College on Yonge line and Queens Park at University, City Hall has Queen on Yonge line and Osgood on University line, and government buildngs have Dundas and College. So these areas are well served already

I fail to understand why people should think it should go under King. Either elevate it from basically the DVP to Union using the current rail corridor or go under Queen but King will cost a small fortune.
Why?.......because of PATH. The PATH network under King is massive and very deep. It will not only cost a small fortune but take forever to build. The PATH under Queen really is only relevant at City Hall and the Queen/Yonge streetcar/subway station is already built.

I agree. Joe Pants was was a terrible canididate.
How was he terrible? Joe's reputation as an administrator was certainly better than Ford's (non-existent) or Smitherman's (terrible), and I find it hard to believe Joe would have been as embarrassing or divisive a mayor as Ford is, or as Smitherman would have been IMO.

How was he terrible? Joe's reputation as an administrator was certainly better than Ford's (non-existent) or Smitherman's (terrible), and I find it hard to believe Joe would have been as embarrassing or divisive a mayor as Ford is, or as Smitherman would have been IMO.

the general public didnt know much about joe but they knew he was somehow linked to miller who they disliked. more importantly during the debates was joe being serious with his antics and his communication. it almost seemed like he knew he lost so he didnt care. NOT THAT FORD WAS ANY BETTER but ford was different. i just couldnt take him seriously in the debates. very much like stephon dion.

I'm not sure that it would need to have excessively close spacing -- having reliable and fast service would more than make up for having to walk a bit to a station. Spacing like that on the eastern part of the Danforth line would work very well.

And I don't think that a DRL needs to be express to provide relief to YUS -- the problem with the current line isn't speed, but crowding. A line that was just as fast but less crowded would be a huge hit.

i dont think too close spacing is needed but it deffinately shouldnt be sheppard like spacing. people will take the drl because its less busy and it goes to different places. as long as the time is similar to the yonge line i dont see the problem. so essentially if there is 10 stops between pape and union by taking the bloor line then the yonge line, i cant see why the drl from pape to union couldnt have 9-10 stops either. just by going diaganal the line will already save time. If stops are needed they should go in.

Back