News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
I agree but to be honest people are talking union to pape. What about the west end.

I would think it's because the west end is served by the University line along with the Bathurst and Spadina streetcars. The whole point of the "DRL" is to provide relief to the Yonge line in hope of siphoning riders off at Pape to go downtown. The relief to the Yonge line is needed much more than west end.

West-enders can go to St. George and make a relatively comfortable transfer to downtown.

I agree but to be honest people are talking union to pape. What about the west end.

Remember that the point of the DRL is to relieve capacity issues on the current subway network. The east side is where relief is needed. To the west, the Yonge line is already relieved by the University-Spadina line, and we still have quite some time before that line gets as crowded as the Yonge line. This is why a DRL West is a much lower priority. In fact the DRL East all the way up to Eglinton is arguably needed before any of the DRL West.

Remember that the point of the DRL is to relieve capacity issues on the current subway network. The east side is where relief is needed. To the west, the Yonge line is already relieved by the University-Spadina line, and we still have quite some time before that line gets as crowded as the Yonge line. This is why a DRL West is a much lower priority. In fact the DRL East all the way up to Eglinton is arguably needed before any of the DRL West.

I agree with that, but it's my hope that they would plan out the full potential of the line. In my mind, that's from the Airport on the west end, to Don Mills station in the east. With the plan, they would start protecting corridors and station locations, make zoning changes to bring more development potential to future station sites, and make sure all work on the DRL (and other lines) is done within the scope of the full route.

That means the line can be built in many phases, and have perhaps a constant ongoing multi-decade construction period using constant funding (if we ever get that sorted out).

That means the line can be built in many phases, and have perhaps a constant ongoing multi-decade construction period using constant funding (if we ever get that sorted out).

Yes, but you have to start somewhere. I believe that identifying the "lower eastern" part of the DRL as a necessity can get the ball rolling on a multi-decade construction period. To simply present the DRL in full as you view it, could be deemed a "pie in the sky" and subsequently shelved because it's not realistic. Then we're back to square one, no?

This proposal may be frowned upon for being minimal in scale but the optimist in me says that if it gains steam and actually gets built.. it's not that far north to extend it from Pape/Bloor to Eglinton.

West end will, at very least, have a stop at Bathurst/Spadina&Front and the current GO Exhibition station.

I would think it's because the west end is served by the University line along with the Bathurst and Spadina streetcars. The whole point of the "DRL" is to provide relief to the Yonge line in hope of siphoning riders off at Pape to go downtown. The relief to the Yonge line is needed much more than west end.

West-enders can go to St. George and make a relatively comfortable transfer to downtown.

I agree with that, but it's my hope that they would plan out the full potential of the line. In my mind, that's from the Airport on the west end, to Don Mills station in the east. With the plan, they would start protecting corridors and station locations, make zoning changes to bring more development potential to future station sites, and make sure all work on the DRL (and other lines) is done within the scope of the full route.

Now that I look at it, That area is served by 3 streetcars so this makes sense. It just bugs me that the line is not full.

Now that I look at it, That area is served by 3 streetcars so this makes sense. It just bugs me that the line is not full.

2 of those 3 streetcars are the busiest surface routes in the entire city.

The original purpose of the DRL may be to relieve the Yonge line. Serving the densest part of the city that is not currently within walking distance of the subway and relieving the busiest surface routes in city should be sufficient justification for the DRL. Instead, it serves as additional justification.

Even if the Yonge line wasn't overcrowded, the DRL would likely still be the best justified subway expansion project in the city.

Last edited:
2 of those 3 streetcars are the busiest surface routes in the entire city.

The original purpose of the DRL may be to relieve the Yonge line. Serving the densest part of the city that is not currently within walking distance of the subway and relieving the busiest surface routes in city should be sufficient justification for the DRL. Instead, it serves as additional justification.
That is true. Even if there was no stops to Keele Station it would be a big help.

Serving the densest part of the city that is not currently within walking distance of the subway and relieving the busiest surface routes in city should be sufficient justification for the DRL. Instead, it serves as additional justification.

Even if the Yonge line wasn't overcrowded, the DRL would likely still be the best justified subway expansion project in the city.

No doubt it would -- but unfortunately, relieving Yonge seems to be the only justification that's politically realistic. Maybe someday we'll assess transit projects purely on their objective merits, but I'm not holding my breath.

The terminals of the DRL should be at Eglinton (both sides).

I agree, but the eastern leg is far more important than the western leg, mainly because a western DRL to the Yonge line already exists. East of Yonge, there's nothing doing that role at all.

Now granted the Spadina line is in a really crappy location, especially south of Bloor, but still.

The terminals of the DRL should be at Eglinton (both sides).

Again, why? There's certainly something psychologically appealing about seeing it link up to Eglinton on both sides. The human mind likes symmetry. But with both the University-Spadina subway and eventual intensive service on the Georgetown GO line (hopefully including fare integration and more local stations), I don't know if it will ever be necessary for the DRL West to go this far north. At least not for a very, very long time. Things are totally different in the East, where there is a strong case for the DRL to reach Eglinton in order to truly relieve the Yonge line.

Now granted the Spadina line is in a really crappy location, especially south of Bloor, but still.

To be pedantic, south of Bloor, the only Spadina line is the streetcar!

EDIT: this post was written under the assumption that you were accurately relaying the Metrolinx forecasts. As per Gweed's remarks, by all means let us know about that.
Open the Big Move website and check them yourself. If either of you think I'm wrong, do the 45-seconds of digging necessary to demonstrate it. This isn't a trap, I haven't looked at the numbers in over a year, and who knows what they say anymore ... there's a single peak value, and only would assume that it's is the peak AM hour southbound, south of Bloor.

Sorry, I'd check myself, but I've been sleeping or out of town since you posted.

Back