News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I suspect that many, many businesses and condos/apartments will not shell out money to reregister their licenses/plans, change their business letterheads, business cards, web sites, redo signage, on and on. I'm not a fan of the change. Along the same vein, maybe a rename of Emily Murphy Park is in order; after all, she was a proponent of eugenics and called for the expulsion of Chinese immigrants. Sure she did good things too; so did Frank Oliver. For the record, I am not an apologist for Mr. Oliver.
I'm not a big fan of renaming either, as it tends to make uncomfortable history just disappear rather than lead to thoughtful discussion. Most people (with some exceptions) are not all good or bad and are a product of their times.

The Oliver renaming has happened, at least officially, so I suppose we will just have to move forward from here, but yes there will also be costs for a number of private businesses and organizations in the area as well. IMO those that initiated the renaming should cover those cost especially for smaller businesses and organizations affected by it.

IMG_1823.png
A snippet from LinkedIn saying “Jaffer is moving their Headquarters back to downtown.”

Just listened to the Council session and it seems that they're not moving forward with the grant for downtown residential. After listening to the discussion, I honestly get it, despite being supportive of the grant idea.

I think ChazYEG mentioned that Parks Phase II is going forward next year (most likely). Without the grant, would there be other projects that are going to happen? I know there's that midrise proposal that Westrich had, and an office conversion that Filmore is doing in the Phipps McKinnon building.

It was interesting to hear that the province wasn't willing to fork over money for conversions/development (but Calgary can get arena money lol) and that a separate letter was sent to the Federal Government asking for some support on this if I heard correctly. On the plus side, maybe that announcement for the $15 billion apartment loan construction program would have a positive effect of sorts? Sohi was in the press conference with Randy B and Freeland when they made the announcement, and the Feds seem to be leaning heavily towards housing as a plank for re-election.

Just listened to the Council session and it seems that they're not moving forward with the grant for downtown residential. After listening to the discussion, I honestly get it, despite being supportive of the grant idea.

I think ChazYEG mentioned that Parks Phase II is going forward next year (most likely). Without the grant, would there be other projects that are going to happen? I know there's that midrise proposal that Westrich had, and an office conversion that Filmore is doing in the Phipps McKinnon building.

It was interesting to hear that the province wasn't willing to fork over money for conversions/development (but Calgary can get arena money lol) and that a separate letter was sent to the Federal Government asking for some support on this if I heard correctly. On the plus side, maybe that announcement for the $15 billion apartment loan construction program would have a positive effect of sorts? Sohi was in the press conference with Randy B and Freeland when they made the announcement, and the Feds seem to be leaning heavily towards housing as a plank for re-election.
From what I understand federal funding is contingent on matching provincial investment

From what I understand federal funding is contingent on matching provincial investment

Doesn't sound like it. Seems like the feds will bypass province if they don't step up.

From today's announcement:

"Ideally, we'd work with all provinces if they're sufficiently ambitious on housing. We're there to be partners with them," he (Trudeau) said, regarding today's $15 billion housing announcement. "If a province decides it doesn't want to be ambitious on housing, that's their decision. We will work with the municipalities within that province that are ambitious."

The new $6 billion Canada Housing Infrastructure Fund the Liberal government unveiled Tuesday includes $5 billion set aside for provinces and territories which agree to make certain commitments. If agreements can't be reached with provinces and territories, the federal money will flow directly to municipalities instead.

Doesn't sound like it. Seems like the feds will bypass province if they don't step up.

From today's announcement:

"Ideally, we'd work with all provinces if they're sufficiently ambitious on housing. We're there to be partners with them," he (Trudeau) said, regarding today's $15 billion housing announcement. "If a province decides it doesn't want to be ambitious on housing, that's their decision. We will work with the municipalities within that province that are ambitious."

The new $6 billion Canada Housing Infrastructure Fund the Liberal government unveiled Tuesday includes $5 billion set aside for provinces and territories which agree to make certain commitments. If agreements can't be reached with provinces and territories, the federal money will flow directly to municipalities instead.
Wow, that's promising.

Could be the $$$ we'd need to get some of these projects that are shovel ready off the ground.

Back