News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are now 3 towers right next to each other on the south side of Jasper Ave with no signage or tenant .
Jacobs (taken down 2 weeks ago)
RBC ( taken down and moved out)
Embridge ( new hyatt hotel which is in development)

Retail is headed downward world-wide. Thanks go to Amazon, Google, and Walmart. In fairness, Google recognizes the trend and is working to fix it.

Stating that retail is heading 'downward' is untrue. It's just changing. People will always need 'stuff'. How they choose to get it depends on various factors. But one thing we cannot discount is that people are social creatures. There will always be some type of physical retail presence.

Last edited:
Check the data @cmd uw and you will find that Retail in the "bricks-and-mortar" world is collapsing at an ever-increasing rate. Of course people are buying on line -- I stated that in noting that Amazon (now owns over 50% of all retail sales in the U.S.), Google and Wallmart have increasing control. In the data you will find that 1/3 of all shopping malls in North America are closing this year (check out the number of vacancies in Kingsway Mall in Edmonton to get a flavor of the problem). Walk around downtown Edmonton and count "for lease" signs. I get no glee in reporting this but it is a fact. Some socially active spaces like Old Strathcona and WEM are surviving but not without bumps and grinds. As an architect who has spent the last 45 years specializing in Retail and Hospitality design, I see and feel the change first hand. There are solutions, but they haven't been implemented yet... the change is going to start in Edmonton (and soon!... can't say more just yet).

Back