News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Warehouse Park is already funded, it's really looking at whether to delay other projects, which are contemplated to be funded by the CRL but aren't yet approved.

I would hate to see streetscape improvements delayed, those have a large impact especially needed is Japser Avenue. But if you can move the numbers around when Jasper Avenue isn't contemplated to be done for 3-4 years yet or other projects, you maybe can make this incentive work. I'd be okay with Beaverhills/Michael Phair delayed for a few years if Warehouse Park was done right and the incentive got 5-6 projects moving immediately.

We desperately need to incentivize and shift the development of units towards Downtown.

I'm undecided if providing public money per unit for these office conversions is the best way to go - especially to the tune of $100/sq ft as is being contemplated. Is there no discussion to continuing on the tax break program from 2021? Or maybe make that incentive a little sweeter for the next round for new builds given the inflation and interest rate change since then?

If we had that program, maybe Evertrust would have stuck around in Muttart.

I'm undecided if providing public money per unit for these office conversions is the best way to go - especially to the tune of $100/sq ft as is being contemplated. Is there no discussion to continuing on the tax break program from 2021? Or maybe make that incentive a little sweeter for the next round for new builds given the inflation and interest rate change since then?

If we had that program, maybe Evertrust would have stuck around in Muttart.
The funding is coming from the downtown CRL therefore this project would not qualify.

Possible projects that would go ahead with this incentive (Downtown or CRL boundaries)

- The Parks tower 2
- Falcon tower 2
- Phipps McKinnon conversion
- The Shift 2 towers
- Milner Building conversion?

This is already 5-6 major projects/towers that would immediately happen. Also if it would incentives even 1 or 2 suburban developers to come Downtown that would be a win.

Possible projects that would go ahead with this incentive (Downtown or CRL boundaries)

- The Parks tower 2
- Falcon tower 2
- The Shift 2 towers

This is already 5-6 major projects/towers that would immediately happen. Also if it would incentives even 1 or 2 suburban developers to come Downtown that would be a win.

When you say incentive, do you mean the same one in 2021? Was that incentive for new builds only?

The funding is coming from the downtown CRL therefore this project would not qualify.

I'm not proposing CRL money be used. Or did the funding for the 2021 tax incentive for residential projects come from the CRL?

- The Parks tower 2
- Falcon tower 2
- The Shift 2 towers

The shift and those two phase 2 projects are worth incentivizing quite a bit in my mind. Those 4 towers (5 with Parks middle building), will do a lot for the gaping hole in our DT. Id much rather those than any office conversions.

- The Parks tower 2
- Falcon tower 2
- The Shift 2 towers

PMK would be a real interesting tower conversion. The lobby reno they did a few years back was slick and I hear it's pretty vacant.

- The Parks tower 2
- Falcon tower 2
- The Shift 2 towers

Is this your opinion or do you have good intel that says this would push these projects forward? Either way, good to see what COULD happen.

Very interesting to see how this one evolves as a residence -- the floor to ceiling heights will give airy living space. I wonder if any thought has been given (or will be given, considering its youthful transfer) to creating balconies and amenity space. It has to be a big positive for Rice/Howard Way and the Civic Centre precinct. Even so-called "Juliet" balconies could be artfully done here, giving the building an entirely new demeanor. I suspect some kind of "oomph" factor will have to be employed.

Back