News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Montreal got their share of the kitty today……when is our announcement ?
This is different from the Housing Accelerator Fund. These are just loans provided by CMHC through RCFI - most rental projects in Edmonton are using essentially the same plans.

Montreal got their share of the kitty today……when is our announcement ?
Unpopular opinion: we don't really need more housing right now given that condos are still pretty depressed in price. That 200m would do wonders if directed to downtown revitalization, or another big ticket project to drive investment, rather than just more housing. We need the cash, but the program needs to be flexible in how Edmonton can spend the funds.

Unpopular opinion: we don't really need more housing right now given that condos are still pretty depressed in price. That 200m would do wonders if directed to downtown revitalization, or another big ticket project to drive investment, rather than just more housing. We need the cash, but the program needs to be flexible in how Edmonton can spend the funds.
Money from the housing accelerator fund shouldn't be spent on housing?

The whole point of the fund is to add more housing stock to make housing more affordable. It is not meant to make the price of condos increase.

Not sure I agree... One of the reasons our condo market is depressed, amongst other (and maybe even more important) factors, because our stock is mostly made out of old, outdated condos, which sometimes lack amenities that are very desirable, such as underground parking.

Having newer, affordable options in the city could help turn things around, from how having more buildings popping up and taking out parking lots, etc, can positively impact certain areas, regarding their feel, to creating pressure on the owners of the current stock to step up their game.

Also, not all of the housing investment will be (not it should) put towards highrise condos, but could very well go towards missing middle in areas such as Old Strathcona, Garneau, McKernan.

It should also go towards purpose built rentals, which are just as vital as any other type of housing, as owning is not always desired, or achievable, for everyone (we'll always have students, younger people, new immigrants, etc...).

$158/ft, damn that's cheap for river valley views and a nearly ideal size for a tower.

Unpopular opinion: I have always really loved the look of River Park Place next door. Just the best kind of 1980s soviet architecture here. The roof top patio they've upgraded in the last few years turned out real well too.

E4352180.041

I've always wondered why this lot was sitting empty for so long. I figured that could maybe be where the parkade is for the tower beside it, which is how a few underground parkades for towers from that era were constructed in this city.

Last edited:
I've always wondered why this lot was sitting empty for so long. I figured that could maybe be where the parkade is for the tower beside it, which is how a few underground parkades for towers from that era were constructed in this city.
There was an old lowrise on that site if I'm not mistaken around a decade ago. Think it maybe burned down?

Scotia renos
Reference ID: Job No 492441658-002
Description: Exterior Alteration, Exterior Alterations to the Site
Plan 8221723 Lot C
Applicant: KASIAN ARCHITECTURE INTERIOR DESIGN AND PLANNING
Create Date: 2023-11-29T11:07:18Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back