News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

R

rdaner

skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=319915

The following was on SSC:

A couple of friends of mine downtown are talking about how the new owner of Hudsons' Bay Company wants to close down the two flagship stores downtown due to high rent and location costs. They are worried along with most of the staff there and are afraid of losing their jobs.

All speculation.

I believe HBC has already closed many unprofitable stores over the last few years.

I doubt they would ever mess with the Queen Street store, however, for some reason I could see the Yonge and Bloor location closing and maybe Woodbine Centre.

Louroz

I don't really care for the Uptown location, but they'd leave Queen Street alone, I should think. Is there any reason why you'd think the Woodbine store would go?

I'm sure the Queen Street store will be shrunk, but I doubt it would be closed. At over 800,000 square feet, it's the largest store in Canada, and has way more space than it needs. Turning 2-3 floors into offices would make sense.

The Yonge/Bloor store is ugly and depressing. Not just that store, but the entire complex. I wouldn't miss the entire place being torn down.

Downsizing is not needed. If they want the Queen Street store to close, then downsizing would have that happen in a second.

The reason why stores like the Queen Street store do good is because they are larger then their suburban countparts, and offer way more selection and services. Take that away by downsizing, and the store will be gone in no time.

Now Canada sees what happens when American's take over control. American's do not believe in downtowns, and will find anyway possible to kill off downtown retail. Its well documented in books on urban planning. And you will start to see that in Canada now.

Yeah Jerry Zucker bought the Bay to kill downtown Toronto.

If the store makes money he'll keep it, if it loses money he may not.

The Bon-Ton Department store chain in the USA actually bought out profit making downtown stores with the intention to close them down, to force people out to the suburbs. And it worked, in every city they did this to.
What cities?

There should be laws in Canada that do not allow people from other countries to take over our companies.
Wasn't that one of the laws Hitler past and the USSR that ended up killing their national economies, among other things? Anyway, that would violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the fundamental document of Canadian's rights.

Anyway, are there any actual documents saying that any of this will happen? From the looks of it it's pure speculation.

Does not matter with Americans. They will close it even if it makes Money.

The Bon-Ton Department store chain in the USA actually bought out profit making downtown stores with the intention to close them down, to force people out to the suburbs. And it worked, in every city they did this to.

I do not trust Zucker. HBC was doing a great job on their own, and the downtown store is looking better then it has in years.

Now that could all come to a halt with the American's.

There should be laws in Canada that do not allow people from other countries to take over our companies.

HBC has lost money 7 out of the last 8 quarters. Would hardly call that doing a great job on their own.

Michael,

While I know that you are a huge HBC supporter, let's be honest, they have done a horrible job over the last few years.

They had a golden opportunity to capitalize on the departure of Eaton's from the market.

They have done a lousy job at marketing their Zellers brand compared to Wal Mart.

Home Outfitters was a nice concept, however, it gave customers one less reason to shop at the Bay.

The Designer Depot never really took off compared to Winners.

The vital Youth market was virtually ignored. When was the last the Bay had a marketing campaign targeted towards youth people? I don't believe it has ever been cool to shop at the Bay as a young person, as a matter of fact, I can't think of any of my friends who shops there.

While it was a major coup for HBC to steal away the Olympic contract away from Roots, I believe they once again failed. They had an opportunity to create a "buzz" around the Olympic line, however, the word on the street is that nobody wants to wear clothing they can buy at Zellers. It simply isn't cool. They have cheapen the Olympic clothing line.

HBC has also done it's part to move many of it's operations an employees out to the "suburbs" . They moved several departments out of downtown Toronto - "Simpsons Tower" out to Mississauga at the 401 and Tomken Road.

I expect there will be some job cuts and closing of stores with this new owners. My prediction is that they will leave the Queen Street alone, and I have a personal feeling that Yonge and Bloor is gone.

Louroz

Exactly what section of the Charter would ban such a law?
Depeding on how you read them, s.2.d., s.6.(2).d, s.7, and s.15.

From how I read them and from what I know about SCC rulings I'd say that banning foreign ownership could be challenged using those sections.

Miketoronto, as grey matter goes, you make Stockwell Day look like Michael Ignatieff.

But anyhoo...

Y'know, I think I've said it before, but the future of the Yonge-Bloor HBC bears watching--and it would have borne watching even if Zucker hadn't stepped in. Somehow, I can even see that big bunker totally transformed into a downtown Toronto flagship for Target...

Oh, adma, you're an Ignatieff fan??

Yeah, uh, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were brought down by banning foreign ownership. That's right.

There are absolutely no protections for foreign ownership in the Charter, or for property rights of any kind, for that matter. Of course, Mulroney's alterna-constitution in the form of the FTA takes care of that.

Back