News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On the topic of fare structures, you need to keep in mind that a lot of people are geographically illiterate, and you don't want to make them too confusing. I would implement a buffer zone between Lawrence and Eglinton, where crossing it would cost extra. I would also make transfers work as a 2 hour pass for the zone purchased in. Finally, I would adjust the cost of passes to tokens to encourage more people to use them.

But see that still 'punishes' people who aren't fortunate enough to live within walking distance of a subway line. And it still doesn't solve the problem that you're asking people to pay twice, which they would never want to do.
There should not be a separate fare for either riding the subway versus bus. If its fare base it is fare based regardless of mode of public transit - be it subway, streetcar or bus. Then you are not punishimg those that are not near a subway route

Last edited:
Decided to make a quick map of the streetcar system changes that I was describing a couple pages ago. The orange lines are the mixed-traffic streetcar lines, the blue lines are the in-median lines, and the red lines are the express streetcar routes that run in the left lane on Richmond and Adelaide.

(Since the new streetcars will have doors on both sides, left side loading will be possible)

Downtown Streetcars_lowres.jpg

Attachments

• Downtown Streetcars_lowres.jpg
    Downtown Streetcars_lowres.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 241
(Since the new streetcars will have doors on both sides, left side loading will be possible)
The only new LRVs that will have doors on both sides, are the ones they will use on Eglinton, which will have a different gauge and power supply to the rest of the city.

The only new LRVs that will have doors on both sides, are the ones they will use on Eglinton, which will have a different gauge and power supply to the rest of the city.

I thought the new streetcars will have doors on both sides as well. If they don't, then my plan will either need to be revised to be right-hand lanes, or have island platforms.

My idea for fare structure:

1 Zone (Lake Ontario to Lawrence, Steeles to Eglinton)
*Cash: $3.00
*Bulk (Presto, tokens, etc.): $2.50
Weekly: $27
Monthly:$108
Zone upgrade: $1

2 Zone:
**Cash: $4.00
**Bulk: $3.50
Weekly:$37
Monthly:$148

*Provides unlimited service in zone purchased in for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes, a new fare must be purchased
**Provides unlimited service for the full city for 120 minutes. After 120 minutes, a new fare must be purchased

Last edited:
Well I might be wrong ...

Check with Steve Munro - he was on the design panel.

You're correct, they will only have doors on the right-side. They thought that the extra cost of having the two doors was useless, because the new cars would be using the existing system which is built for right-side door cars.

Last edited:
I was under the impression the new LRVs for the legacy network have doors on one side, whereas the Transit City LRVs would have doors on both sides.

There should not be a separate fare for either riding the subway versus bus. If its fare base it is fare based regardless of mode of public transit - be it subway, streetcar or bus. Then you are not punishimg those that are not near a subway route

I think there is an argument to be made to charge different fares based on mode. It would encourage people to live near higher order transit and prevent sprawl.

I kind of agree but at the same time all you are doing is making the peoples property who can afford places near subways or downtown worth much more. In essence you are simply making the rich RICHER... Maybe though to combat sprawl it makes some sense.

I think there is an argument to be made to charge different fares based on mode. It would encourage people to live near higher order transit and prevent sprawl.

Our existing system already strongly encourages people to live near higher order transit because much of the lower order transit is slow and unreliable

Going back to the fare structure I proposed earlier, I created a map to help illustrate it:

Fare Zones.jpg

The fare instructions are on the map, but basically the way it works is people using Presto tap on, get charged the full cash fare, and then depending on how many zones they travel through, the difference will be deducted when they tap off.

Attachments

• Fare Zones.jpg
    Fare Zones.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 272
I would like to see a very simple fare system (enabled by smart payment systems as are being implemented) -- fare by distance. You are charged a flat rate per tenth of kilometre, according to the distance between entrance and exit points. No zones, no time-based rules, no type-of-vehicle distinctions. This would incent people to use transit efficiently, and incent the system to provide the most efficient means for moving people around.

(Obviously, if you didn't tap on and off, then you would be charged full fare, perhaps with a penalty.)

Back