News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I like the attempt to turn Yonge Street into a leisure destination but those metal barricade patio particians, have got to go. If you're going to put a sidewalk restaurant patio on Yonge Street, there has to be some effort to make it decent. I hope they upgrade it, quickly. Not all the patios are so cheap. Some have nice planters and have attempted to make an effort.

I so agree with u on that one. U never see those metal ones in Montreal. They put up these Stupid metal barricades and call them patios with stupid green plastic chairs. What is wrong with these guys. At least make them look nice.

I so agree with u on that one. U never see those metal ones in Montreal. They put up these Stupid metal barricades and call them patios with stupid green plastic chairs. What is wrong with these guys. At least make them look nice.

Can't. There's a budget the city has to work with. Anything better costs more. Can't have that under the current regime, can we? Everything has to be either cheap or paid by the private sector.

Can't. There's a budget the city has to work with. Anything better costs more. Can't have that under the current regime, can we? Everything has to be either cheap or paid by the private sector.

I've seen restaurants with those metal barricades in front of them. That's the extent of their design. U even see them at the airport in Toronto. T1!!!!

This is great to see. I have heard a lot of store owners complain about the Kensington pedestrian sundays. What are you guys hearing from business owners on Yonge street about this effort? Are they in complete support? I know the Elephant and Castle owners were opposed to it at the beginning.

I've heard of SEVERAL businesses stating that their business has been much-improved already since this event started and I'm hoping this trend continues as it could be a great encouragement for some retailers to improve their businesses further.

That photo reminds me, through the 80's & 90's there used to be four, perhaps six permanent chess boards on the top of concrete tables on Gould Street, along the side of the bank (which later became part of Sam's). They were well used too from spring through fall, often well into the late evening hours.

c1970's-1980's

chess1.jpg

chess2.jpg

chess3.jpg

Fair enough. But this is a temporary experiment with a limited budget. They do what they can, and not all the participating businesses have the same money to throw around, nor does the City, esp. in respect of an event that has not been tried before. Clearly a lot of effort has been put into this event and to really transform some sections of the street. Can we not just enjoy what has been done here, and not target those few stretches that use metal barricades and plastic chairs? Jeez - sitting outside in the sun along Yonge Street having a nice drink -- I suspect that many people can enjoy that experience without getting huffy about the aesthetics of the metal barricades. That's a criticism to make if this were to become a regular summer event, or even permanent.

The City has just released the Downtpwn Yonge Study Report, see http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.TE18.16

One of the points noted in it (page 3) is "For example, the DYBIA recommends that the TTC staircase be internalized at the north west corner of Yonge Street and Dundas Street, City Planning supports this initiative and has been successful in getting the applicant for the Atrium on Bay (595 Bay Street) expansion to incorporate it into their design."

Five guys + Silver Snail

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 319
Signage up on the lot next to the HMV says that it will be a food truck lot.

The food retailers in 10 Dundas E must be thrilled about that

Signage up on the lot next to the HMV says that it will be a food truck lot.

This is great news! :) This space has hosted food trucks on occasion but it is good to see this becoming more permanent (at least until something gets built here).

I suspect that there is absolutely nothing that the city can do to stop them since the lot is not a licensed parking lot and it is zoned commercial.

I would like to see this spread to other vacant lots downtown for example the vacant lot on the south side of Wellesley just east of Church would be a great spot to host food trucks. I can think of two other vacant lots nearby that could also host food trucks. The more the merrier!

Instead of all these sites sitting behind fences or hoarding for years on end I'd rather see them opened, and greened, until shovels go into the ground.

There's three food trucks on the lot already.

Also, the Kitchen Stuff Plus is all papered up.

Last edited:

Back