News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Downtown Spark starts tonight with an 80s video dance party in Alex Decoteau Park. See you there! 25' video screen, beer garden by Starlite.

Last edited:
Canadian Pie Co. looks close to opening.

IMG_1851.jpeg

Purely anecdotal but it does feel like downtown’s net absorption of CRU space is positive again for the first time in awhile

Last edited:
Purely anecdotal but it does feel like downtown is net absorption of CRU space is positive again for the first time in awhile
I have the same feeling.

Also, I've driven through downtown for the past two non-Oilers game nights, and it felt a lot livelier than I've seen in recent years, with lots of people walking around Jasper Ave all the way from 114st to 103 st, mostly, the busiest areas being 109st/Jasper and 104/103st between Jasper and 103 ave, and that was both at around 9pm and on my way back home, around 1am.

Slap Shot Restaurant & Bar

They spelled 'comming' wrong on the homepage, not sure if that's a bad sign...
The font on their signage also looks a lot like "Slop Shot".

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect they're not going to make it. They have this whole vibe of coming in in an extremely improvised fashion and getting a restaurant off the ground really takes planning and financial reserves. And that particular space has been a hard one for various restaurants to keep going in.

Add to things that they're right next to ANOTHER SPORTS BAR, but have a much smaller space, and they're in for a hard time. Even with the game night traffic bringing a sports bar demographic by their door, the impact of game nights on restaurants is a pre-game surge and post-game surge with doldrums in between (I know I'm hardly the only one who just doesn't bother with restaurants and bars on 104th when there's a game on), which doesn't exactly favour the smaller spaces.

And then they seem to be pushing the limits of copyright in ways that I can't see the Oilers being particularly happy about.

Last edited:
I have the same feeling.

Also, I've driven through downtown for the past two non-Oilers game nights, and it felt a lot livelier than I've seen in recent years, with lots of people walking around Jasper Ave all the way from 114st to 103 st, mostly, the busiest areas being 109st/Jasper and 104/103st between Jasper and 103 ave, and that was both at around 9pm and on my way back home, around 1am.
And 109th and Jasper is one of the most miserable intersections to try to exist as a pedestrian around in downtown.

And 109th and Jasper is one of the most miserable intersections to try to exist as a pedestrian around in downtown.
The road grade drops heading west from 109 down to 111th. I think they should consider alternative crosswalk markings to to improve the visiual experience and hide the grade slop at the 4 corners of 109. The one below is from Austin.

I would agree with that comment, but yet there seems to be quite a good mix of retail businesses and services right around there.
Yeah. That's... literally the only reason I ever go there. I just usually access it from 100th Ave, 102 Ave, Railtown MUP, 108 Street, or anything that gets me out of interacting with the intersection itself.

I might not be popular for saying this, but I think 109/Jasper should be a scramble intersection.
I'd certainly prefer it that way on account of not having to Frogger my way past right turn on red traffic.

Might be unpopular with those who only ever drive through the intersection though.

Back