9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

City of Edmonton
·
1h
Returning to your workspaces Downtown? Welcome back #yeg! We know it’s been a while, so we put together a handy Guide on fun things to do Downtown on your lunch break.

Spring clean up prioritized for pedestrian areas like Downtown, Whyte Avenue, Chinatown, BIAs and key entrances along with trying to get er' done before our warm months are 50% done? Help me, help you. Show me the money!

Amarjeet Sohi
@AmarjeetSohiYEG
I’ve confirmed with
@CityofEdmonton
administration today that #YEGDT, Chinatown and other business districts and key entertainment areas (such as Whyte and Jasper Ave) will be prioritized for spring clean-up, with the highest possible level of service. #YEG #YEGcc

I am also exploring how we can speed up spring clean-up of the roadways and paths throughout the city with
@CityofEdmonton
admin. I believe the spring clean-up completion date of June 1st is not quick enough, and I would like to see spring clean-up completed by early May. #YEG

Spring clean up prioritized for pedestrian areas like Downtown, Whyte Avenue, Chinatown, BIAs and key entrances along with trying to get er' done before our warm months are 50% done? Help me, help you. Show me the money!

Amarjeet Sohi
@AmarjeetSohiYEG
I’ve confirmed with
@CityofEdmonton
administration today that #YEGDT, Chinatown and other business districts and key entertainment areas (such as Whyte and Jasper Ave) will be prioritized for spring clean-up, with the highest possible level of service. #YEG #YEGcc

I am also exploring how we can speed up spring clean-up of the roadways and paths throughout the city with
@CityofEdmonton
admin. I believe the spring clean-up completion date of June 1st is not quick enough, and I would like to see spring clean-up completed by early May. #YEG

If he can get us to have spring cleanup done in early May, he'll have been worth my vote

It's ridiculous that we can clear the entire city from snow in 72hrs and yet it takes 6-10 weeks to clean up from winter... especially in key areas. These should be done the first reasonable week possible and not just street sweepers, but washing of the sidewalks and dirt/grit/disgust from all at grade public spaces/furniture.

It's ridiculous that we can clear the entire city from snow in 72hrs and yet it takes 6-10 weeks to clean up from winter... especially in key areas. These should be done the first reasonable week possible and not just street sweepers, but washing of the sidewalks and dirt/grit/disgust from all at grade public spaces/furniture.
On the main streets such as Rice Howard, Jasper, Whyte, etc. there is no reason why sweeping of the sidewalks and roads for all that garbage, gravel and sand cant start late Feb to mid March when there is no snow on those roads and sidewalks. To take until June to do basic cleaning of the main active centers is...quite consistent with many things this city does about it's image.

^Pet peeve of mine for over a decade. There just simply isn't any excuse for why on pedestrian oriented streets they shouldn't have already been swept of gravel and garbage. These are super important area to the experience of Edmonton and they just simply aren't prioritized.

I should also say that most businesses/property owners are also terrible at keeping their sidewalk and windows clean. I have been pleased with Parks doing some sweeping of Downtown parks already this spring, but it's unfortunately an outlier.

- Dedicated 365 sweeping/cleaning of pedestrian oriented streets including sidewalks.
- Dedicated cleaning of entertainment areas like Whyte and Downtown on weekends.
- Recognition climate change means we need to speed up cleaning gravel in the spring. Be ready as soon as the snow is gone with initial clean ups.

I do my part to keep the areas around my building clean and help clean up the parks. But we need a better effort on pedestrian oriented streets.

Compensation for businesses impacted by construction voted down.

@AndrewKnack
Unfortunately I was wrong. The policy lost in a 7-6 vote so this will not become a reality. Because I’m stubborn, this is something I’m not going to give up on. I’ll look to work with the BIA Council and other businesses to try and come up with a different solution. #yegcc #yeg

EDBA disappointed

Puneeta Sandhu McBryan
@puneeta00
This is so disappointing. The businesses who suffer most during major construction are the smallest, locally owned ones - the ones who don’t have deep pockets nor a dedicated marketing team. Beloved ones, like The Nook. I was surprised at some of these “no” votes. #yegcc

While I know there have been a few sweepers out and about here and there, I still find it incredibly backwards to do random single family neighbourhoods before our most pedestrian heavy areas like Whyte/Old Strathcona, 124st, Downtown, Oliver, major entranceways and exits of our fair city.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 10.48.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 10.48.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 10.49.10 AM.png

Agreed! I would have started running the sweepers weeks ago…..why wait until every single molecule of frozen water has melted before doing so? Side note: Hwy #625 through Nisku is getting done for the first time in 3 years! Road guy for the county said their budgets we’re slashed during. The road is so bad that one cannot even SEE where the intersection curbs are without smashing your front tires into them. This is the road on the North side of the airport….the one with the McDicks at the exit off of the deuce

I've often seen random industrial areas done before main entranceways and key main streets/walkable/central neighbourhoods.

Part of the issue is that we don't really prioritize based on use, we have multiple city yards which are responsible for specific areas of the city instead of focussing limited resources on key areas and a lack of understanding of why certain areas should be done before others when we all pay taxes.

BIA's and main arterials will be getting swept fully starting April 11. If you have a sidewalk with gravel, please sweep into the gutters before then so they can pick it up.

They power brush the grass to remove the grit, why can't they do more of that in advance of this on sidewalks and other areas.

Back