News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Downtown has a bit of a chicken and egg problem where nobody is out at night because nothing is open outside of bars and restaurants, and nothing is open because there is not as much regular traffic.

If you want to hang out at a coffee shop after work (that isnt Tim's), Remedy on Jasper closes at 8:00 whereas on 124th they shut out at 11:00. Looking at Google, a lot of other cafés downtown close at 3:00 or 7:00ish. With city centre mall being fairly empty right now there's not much in the way of evening shopping either.
some of the limited operating hours for food and service providers is a result of not being able to attract sufficient staff and limiting opening hours is one of the few avenues available for them to deal with or respond to that.

although it’s perhaps more apparent downtown, it’s not just a downtown phenomenon.

some of the limited operating hours for food and service providers is a result of not being able to attract sufficient staff and limiting opening hours is one of the few avenues available for them to deal with or respond to that.

although it’s perhaps more apparent downtown, it’s not just a downtown phenomenon.

That's really unfortunate, and I don't blame the owners for taking that step. It is a shame though when you are trying to shop downtown outside the 9-5 Monday to Friday hours and shops are closed or in some areas nonexistent. Manulife place, Commerce place and City Centre are really nice shopping areas that have a lot of potential.

Manulife Place looks to be the best of the three but Commerce place especially looks deserted. I know that it caters to the office crowd but for as nice as a buiding as it is it's a shame it feels so empty. I suppose it's more service oriented though.

^
as well as the space works for kasian, their occupying a large chunk of commerce’s retail doesn’t do anything for commerce’s retail presence inside or outside.

then there’s tim horton’s which probably keeps as many people away as it attracts for much of the day and the good life space (which is now at least open) and the rest of their vacancies…

Edmonton’s Downtown Needs Ideas. Here are Five

We look at cities across North America to determine what’s essential to resurrect a failing downtown

BY TIM QUERENGESSER NOVEMBER 25, 2022

^

It’s interesting to read “…America’s downtowns have not come back to what they were before the pandemic and never will.” It wasn’t that long ago that we would have read “…America’s downtowns have not come back to what they were before 9/11 and never will.”

Downtowns developed and continued to exist for good business and social reasons. As long as those criteria exist and continue to be nurtured, they will be healthy. Where those things do not exist - or where they are either insufficiently supported or outright abandoned - they will flounder their way to failure.

Edmonton’s downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are at a cross roads and it is fascinating to watch three levels of government continue to fail to recognize their roles and obligations in determining which path we are going to follow.

Hmm - https://www.jsarchitect.ca/projects

Reference ID:Job No 455339490-002
Description:Exterior Alteration, Interior Alteration, Change of Use, Demolition
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 177-178
Applicant:J+S ARCHITECT
Create Date:11/24/2022 5:27:06 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Looks like Westrich is purchasing this building from Alberta Infrastructure and is applying to demo everything except for the north and west facades as well as a small portion of the west side of the building to use as an office. The remainder is to be used as parking for three years with a new mixed-use 25-story tower to be developed after that (around 2025 by that timeline). Glad to see the facades being retained as I imagine they're required to be saved for properties with the Heritage Area zoning along and near 104 Street.

Looks like Westrich is purchasing this building from Alberta Infrastructure and is applying to demo everything except for the north and west facades as well as a small portion of the west side of the building to use as an office. The remainder is to be used as parking for three years with a new mixed-use 25-story tower to be developed after that (around 2025 by that timeline). Glad to see the facades being retained as I imagine they're required to be saved for properties with the Heritage Area zoning along and near 104 Street.
DO NOT APPROVE A DEMO PERMIT UNTIL A BP IS IN PLACE...I REPEAT, DO NOT APPROVE A DEMO PERMIT UNTIL A BP IS IN PLACE

We Charlie Brown fall for this every single time. I know this is Westrich but the last thing we need downtown is another another demo'd building with promise to develop, then end up with an empty lot for the next few years until 2025 but 2025 comes and the market still is not conducive to development. How many more times do we need to not protect the community from the downside? Fix the process.

DO NOT APPROVE A DEMO PERMIT UNTIL A BP IS IN PLACE...I REPEAT, DO NOT APPROVE A DEMO PERMIT UNTIL A BP IS IN PLACE

We Charlie Brown fall for this every single time. I know this is Westrich but the last thing we need downtown is another another demo'd building with promise to develop, then end up with an empty lot for the next few years until 2025 but 2025 comes and the market still is not conducive to development. How many more times do we need to not protect the community from the downside? Fix the process.
I agree wholeheartedly but we shall see what Development Services thinks during their review…

I agree. The reason developers want to do this is, 1) avoid taxes on building/land they're holding, 2) get parking revenue. In every way this isn't good for our Downtown if there is no intent to develop right away.

I don't like the idea of demolishing a building with no real plan except for hope to replace it.
Shoutout to this property that's only useful purpose is being a place to grab free bricks since the building was torn down over a decade ago

Screenshot_20221129-123850_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20221129-123753_Maps.jpg

Back