News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Change the bus colour to brown or something, since no subway lines on a TTC map would be brown and then use red for a line.

This change-over could be combined by re-colouring routes based on type (similar to what Ottawa has). Ottawa colours their route based on type, such as Local, Transitway, Express, Peak-Period, Special. Seeing as how at most subway stations each route has their own sign and gate anyway, you can different colours to represent different types of routes, at least that way colour for surface routes would have some meaning.

And I agree with the suggestion that the surface routes should use colours that wouldn't be used for rapid transit routes. We pretty much know which future rapid transit routes there will be (DRL, Finch, Don Mills, Jane, Waterfront), so reserve colours for them now, and then use the left-overs for surface transit.

Don't subway lines on the TTC map have about 3x the thickness and an outline? Subway stations also have stop names, right? It might make sense to make the line a lightly different colour of red, but i doubt people would be confused.

Change the bus colour to brown or something, since no subway lines on a TTC map would be brown and then use red for a line.

... and change all the signage in the station to replace the red lines with brown lines, and then for consistency change the bus stop colours to brown and paint the fleet brown. We should really do it because a city isn't world class without a red subway line and orange is hideous.

... and change all the signage in the station to replace the red lines with brown lines, and then for consistency change the bus stop colours to brown and paint the fleet brown. We should really do it because a city isn't world class without a red subway line and orange is hideous.

If we keep the surface routes as red (which we could, I don't see the problem) that's fine. But what system uses one colour for all surface routes? Ever tried reading a TTC route map versus an MT route map? Tell me which is easier to follow.

I'm not suggesting every bus route have its own colour. I just don't think its necessary to even assign a colour to bus routes.

Most of the maps with colouring of bus routes fully separate the bus map from the subway map. I don't think I have ever seen a large city put coloured bus routes on the same map as coloured subway lines. Most coloured bus maps end up not providing the clarity they expect by needing to put a big gray line where many routes are in the same location.

I think it is great that the TTC has finally come up with a consistent signage strategy (albeit with no timetable for implementation) so I would hate to see them go replace all their red lined signs with a new look.

Most of the maps with colouring of bus routes fully separate the bus map from the subway map. I don't think I have ever seen a large city put coloured bus routes on the same map as coloured subway lines. Most coloured bus maps end up not providing the clarity they expect by needing to put a big gray line where many routes are in the same location.

I think it is great that the TTC has finally come up with a consistent signage strategy (albeit with no timetable for implementation) so I would hate to see them go replace all their red lined signs with a new look.

Praytell why they would need to replace any red signage? Red is the colour of the TTC. The DRL using red wouldn't change anything. I don't know why you're so deadset against using red. Red is the next obvious colour for a line beyond the yellow, blue, green and purple lines that we have now. There's something about the DRL being red that just seems so right to me (the same way I always believed the Eglinton line should be blue).

I don't think I have ever seen a large city put coloured bus routes on the same map as coloured subway lines.
Off the top of my head, SF and DC (granted in both cases the colouring for bus routes is by types of service and not individual routes, and in the case of SF much of the Muni Metro is surface-running light rail). Philadelphia uses red for bus routes, like Toronto, yet it also uses red for the PATCO Speedline.

Off the top of my head, SF and DC (granted in both cases the colouring for bus routes is by types of service and not individual routes, and in the case of SF much of the Muni Metro is surface-running light rail). Philadelphia uses red for bus routes, like Toronto, yet it also uses red for the PATCO Speedline.

And do people in Philli's heads blow up when they see a rapid transit line coloured the same colour as surface routes???

^^ I think they might be more worried about their heads being blown up in a different way when they take the Speedline into Camden. (/un-PC joke)

Praytell why they would need to replace any red signage? Red is the colour of the TTC. The DRL using red wouldn't change anything.

So a sign with a red line, black background, and an arrow would mean this way because it is the red line, yellow this way because it is the yellow line, and red this way because it is the colour of the TTC? Isn't the point of colours being used on signage for wayfinding purposes? Why not just use letters or numbers to indicate the subway lines so it can at least be something simple and unique at the same time.

So a sign with a red line, black background, and an arrow would mean this way because it is the red line, yellow this way because it is the yellow line, and red this way because it is the colour of the TTC? Isn't the point of colours being used on signage for wayfinding purposes? Why not just use letters or numbers to indicate the subway lines so it can at least be something simple and unique at the same time.

Did you bother reading any of the posts above yours?

Obviously a red line makes more sense than a yucky orange one. Orange is gross. When I am in New York I completely avoid the Sixth Ave lines. It creates much clearer signage and maps to have a red subway route and much better looking too. If only we could increase the cars on the Sheppard line from 4 to 10 and then the TTC would finally make some sense.

OsgoodeSign.jpg
RedLine.jpg
LineChange.jpg
BusSign.jpg

Attachments

• OsgoodeSign.jpg
    OsgoodeSign.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 507
  • RedLine.jpg
    RedLine.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 474
  • LineChange.jpg