News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

W

wyliepoon

From a photo gallery posted with a recent Middle East travel journal at the Architectural Record website.

Link to journal

13.jpg

Inside the sales centre of Burj Dubai, soon to be the world's tallest building

14.jpg

Burj Dubai rendering

15.jpg

Burj Dubai model suite

16.jpg

Burj Dubai under construction

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

Marina Area

21.jpg

22.jpg

Does anyone know what is driving the incredible pace of development in the U.A.E.? are many foreigners buying places to live? Are they buying as investments? Or is there a lot of domestic money and local residents buying property?

Also, who is funding the massive infrastructure projects such as the Mall of Arabia, or the world's biggest amusement park that is under construction? And where are they getting their money? And if this can take place in a chauvinistic theocracy, why isn't it happening here, the biggest city in the free-est country in the world?

There's a few things happening:

The country is running out of oil very rapidly (unlike the other gulf states) and they are trying to create an economic base to carry them forward post-oil.

I think its also partly the growing the Arab sense of pride, they want to have their own financial centre, and the cities based in Saudi Arabia/Kuwait etc are too perhaps too theocratic or restrictive financially.

In the past, most petro dollars got recycled back into US dollar assets and some are fearful US assets might get confiscated. So while most of the money in Abu Bubai is legit, alot isn't.

Many wealthy minorities already have places in London, NY, Paris - perhaps there's a desire to have an Asian place where non-Europeans feel as comfortable - not to say those other cities aren't cosmopolitan in their own right.

Lastly is just an Asian manifestation of the real estate bubble.

Those giant towers under construction look like Cityplace on steroids!

And if this can take place in a chauvinistic theocracy

By Middle Eastern standards (which doesn't say much), Dubai is a fairly open society and very business-friendly.

As I understand it is an oil-fueled attempt to create a Singapore or Hong Kong like stable business centre in the heart of the instability of the middle-east. I think it will work, but on the surface it appears to be too speculative and way overbuilt. Dubai is one of the in places for international conventions these days, much like Las Vegas.

As much as I would kill for "some" of their designs, you never see much more then skyline shots, or residential homes. When it comes to Dubai, is it just me, or does that city lack a soul?

When it comes to Dubai, is it just me, or does that city lack a soul?

Maybe it's because all we see of Dubai in photos is skyscrapers and highways... never an average Joe (or average Ahmed) strolling down a bustling street.

And if this can take place in a chauvinistic theocracy, why isn't it happening here, the biggest city in the free-est country in the world?

You are confusing business freedom with political freedom.
There is absolutely no political freedom in Dubai. In Toronto, business freedom is zero to none comparing to the oil-rich developing countries that follow a Libertarian approach to economy.

Also, would Canadians agree to give pernament residency to all who invest just about $100,000 in the project of their choice in Canada, as Dubai has? Certainly not. We already get enough nagging from US about our middle eastern immigrants.

About city soul, it only exists in older part of town, which looks like other cities in the area, and hence its nothing special to be proud about. But there are plenty of such photos at SSC forum.

In Toronto, business freedom is zero to none comparing to the oil-rich developing countries that follow a Libertarian approach to economy.

I will be a tad bit understated when I say that you are a tad bit overstating things.

why is that? please can you elaborate.
i have lived 10 years in both, and i've had biz in both and familiar with biz laws of both.
comparing to dubai, toronto is a communist city.
i dont have to prove what i say, just look at the amount of investments...

if it hurts your city pride, note that i still prefer toronto to dubai now or dubai 10 years from now.

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Kumbaya my lord kumbaya
dsc5328alarge7xd.jpg

Kumbaya my lord kumbaya
dsc5299alarge1sd.jpg

Oh Lord, kumbaya
dsc5361alarge2wg.jpg

I don't have a picture from this angle of 2001, (when we were hoping for Ritz to be added to our skyline)

To imagine 5 years ago, imagine a beach with absolutely nothing in horizon. Shouldn't be difficult to imagine:

n2ga6q.jpg

Back