News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I heard at the TTC meeting last week that Dufferin Station is going to be modernized. Hopefully these plans include having the #29 bus enter directly into the station and having a fare paid zone. I am originally from Montreal but lived most of my adult life in Vancouver (where I got hooked on public transit). The whole idea of buses entering into stations and having fare paid zones is something I really appreciated about the TTC's design of at alot of its stations. Does anyone know if the TTC plans on splitting up the #29 Route as well. Most stations on the Bloor/Danforth route has one bus that serves north of the subway line and a seperate bus route that serves south of the subway line and I was wondering if this route was going to be split up that way. I live in the East end, in between Victoria Park Station and Warden Station so I don't get out to Dufferin Station too often and have no idea about the ridership of the 29 route except I do know it is a heavily used route. Maybe most of the riders on the 29 stay on the bus rather then get on the subway so splitting up that route wouldn't be the best for the riders of that route?

I heard at the TTC meeting last week that Dufferin Station is going to be modernized. Hopefully these plans include having the #29 bus enter directly into the station and having a fare paid zone. I am originally from Montreal but lived most of my adult life in Vancouver (where I got hooked on public transit). The whole idea of buses entering into stations and having fare paid zones is something I really appreciated about the TTC's design of at alot of its stations. Does anyone know if the TTC plans on splitting up the #29 Route as well. Most stations on the Bloor/Danforth route has one bus that serves north of the subway line and a seperate bus route that serves south of the subway line and I was wondering if this route was going to be split up that way. I live in the East end, in between Victoria Park Station and Warden Station so I don't get out to Dufferin Station too often and have no idea about the ridership of the 29 route except I do know it is a heavily used route. Maybe most of the riders on the 29 stay on the bus rather then get on the subway so splitting up that route wouldn't be the best for the riders of that route?

No such luck. See this link for more information.

Wasnt the inauguration of this project suppose to be next month...i cant see that happening, maybe late this year or early 2011..:confused:

Wasnt the inauguration of this project suppose to be next month...i cant see that happening, maybe late this year or early 2011..:confused:

Was to be this month, but now Aug and that pushing it.

A few days after it open, the 29's will start using it and good by jog. TTC has the plan ready for the move. It supposed to save $300,000 a year.

PPL who shop at Price Choppers will have to walk to/from Dufferin once the 29's move. Oh!! my that me>>>>>>

Now to get a shelter for Queen Stop.

From my experience, I certainly wouldn't say most cross Bloor by any stretch, but a large number do. This is a major point of access for the west-side streetcar lines, as well as Dufferin Mall. Splitting the line would inconvenience an awful lot of people.

The modernization plan is pretty modest. There won't be any fare-paid loading zones, and that's fine for this station. Since it's only served by one route, and it's not a terminus, it's not really needed. The most needed improvements IMO are the extra space (for multiple buses), and the roof. Heading north, on a rainy day, when 2-3 buses are trying to unload/load, sucks pretty hard with the current setup. Throw in some accessibility improvements, and overall this is a pretty nice upgrade.
It's not really related to the jog-elimination though.

Councillor Gord Perks' newsletter says that the jog will be eliminated Aug/Sept. The park will also be completed, but not planted - that will wait until next spring.

Form work been strip exposing the wall along with scaffaling going up to form the roof today.

The form work for the roof should be done by the end of the month.

Sometime within the next few weeks, the bridges should be lower so they can be tie into the new roof.

The City of Toronto has completed a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA) study to review the feasibility, and to evaluate alternative methods, of changing the street design on Peel Avenue and Gladstone Avenue, between Peel Avenue and Queen Street West. Click on this link for the city's website. Click on this [URL="http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/peel_gladstone/pdf/project_file.pdf"]link[/URL] for the project PDF.

A Class Environmental Assessment Study was undertaken to review the feasibility of widening the sidewalk/boulevard to enhance the streetscape of Peel Avenue and a portion of Gladstone Avenue, between Peel Avenue and Queen Street West, by narrowing the existing pavement width. Currently, these roadways operate two-way and accommodate through traffic diverted from Dufferin Street due to the discontinuity of Dufferin Street between Peel Avenue and Queen Street West. As a result of the Dufferin Street Jog Elimination Project, Peel Avenue and Gladstone Avenue will no longer need to accommodate through traffic from Dufferin Street and the resulting decrease in traffic volumes on these roads has enabled consideration of a reduction in the pavement width. The evaluation of a reasonable range of alternative solutions, which included consultation with the public and review agencies, resulted in the following Preferred Design:
  • The narrowing of Peel Avenue and Gladstone Avenue, between Peel Avenue and the supermarket driveway (Price Chopper located at No. 22 Northcote Avenue), from 13.1 metres to approximately 8.6 metres to include the following features:
    • Single northbound lane on Gladstone Avenue (one-way operation);
    • Single westbound lane on Peel Avenue (one-way operation);
    • Parallel parking provided on both sides of roadway, increasing the total on-street parking supply from approximately 28 to 30 spaces;
    • Sidewalk/boulevard width of approximately 5.7 metres on each side of Peel and Gladstone Avenues; and
    • Double row of trees provided where possible (subject to utility locations and
      detailed design).
Subsequently, Fire Services confirmed their requirement for a minimum 6.0-metre pavement width in accordance with the requirements of the Building Code and to satisfy their operational needs. In order to achieve this requirement while maintaining, to the greatest extent possible, the other objectives of this initiative, the preferred design was further refined, as follows, resulting in the Recommended Solution:
  • The removal of approximately seven parking spaces on Gladstone Avenue;
  • The reduction in the width of the boulevard on the east side of Gladstone Avenue, between Peel Avenue and approximately 10.0 metres south thereof, by approximately 1.8 metres; and
  • The reduction in the width of the boulevard on the west side of Gladstone Avenue, between Premises Nos. 8 and 20 Gladstone Avenue, by approximately 1.8 metres.

attachment.php

In that picture, it looks like the pillar is in the middle of where the north sidewalk should go. Are they going to make everyone cross on the south side or is that an illusion from this angle?

Here's a view down. Looks like they'll still be able to connect the sidewalks.

4740772847_5cafa08ccb_b.jpg

In that picture, it looks like the pillar is in the middle of where the north sidewalk should go. Are they going to make everyone cross on the south side or is that an illusion from this angle?

I loved that picture.....it is one of those that makes me want to put words to the guy in the picture......"didn't there used to be a sidewalk?" or "great, now there is no jog in the road....but it is in the sidewalk instead!"

The columns are flush to where the retaining wall was, leaving no jog in the sidewalk.

Walking to/from the north east corner to/from the south for a bus is going to be fun.

See no problem for bikers. Slip sliding away.

Back