8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

cacruden

Member Bio
Reaction score
I find it quite odd that whoever is managing events for Dundas Square is completely out of sync with what is going on around in Toronto (major celebrations):

- During pride celebrations - the square was celebrating Mexican culture (but without the most important part -- FOOD).

- Then saturday I went by there and they were celebrating Turkey when the rest of Toronto was suppose to be celebrating Caribana weekend (to which large numbers of tourists were here). I would think something like setting up the largest caribean BBQ and food area would have better suited Toronto.

Isn't the problem with the people who choose to rent the square for these purposes? The Dundas Square people don't put on the festivals, they just provide the space.

The mexican cultural association could try to compete with Pride if they want, but it's not a gamble I would make.

Dundas Square is a city asset. They don't NEED to rent the square. If you have ten's and hundred's of thousands of people coming to Toronto to celebrate Caribana - the city could reserve that square for purposes that further the enjoyment on the tourism that they are trying to attract.

That indicates to me that the square is not properly managed for the greater good.

Yes, the square is a city asset, but the events are put on by private agencies.

The turkish festival was put on by the Toronto Turkish Friendship Community, which is not sponsored by the City of Toronto at all.

Anyone can rent the square. That is part of their mandate. Your problem shouldn't be with the Yonge Dundas Square management board. Your problem should be with companies and community groups who rent the square.

Caribana has always been held on Lakeshore, and the fesitvals have always been on the CNE grounds and on the Toronto Islands. Why would they move those events to a smaller space?

On any weekend there are guaranteed to be a large number of events in the city. There's no need for Dundas Square to coordinate with the most prominent.

Why do the events in the square have to reflect larger events in the city? I don't see a problem with different events occurring.

Toronto is a huge and diverse city. Why on earth should every part of it be expected to celebrate only one thing every weekend? There are dozens of events going on any weekend of the year. Maybe some people (like me) don't really want to "jump up" at Caribana or dance in speedo at Pride or whatever the big fest of the given weekend is. Alternative activities are a nice option.

That said, I do think there are too organized events at Dundas Square, particularly the blatantly commercial ones that often happen during the weeks. I hate seeing it almost always overrun with tents and various organizations trying to promote their junk. It's sad when the popular water fountains are shut off on so many nice hot summer days. Most of all, I'm bored of that same row of about 10 tables selling the same costume jewelery and other junk you can buy anywhere.

Can't Dundas Square just be a public square sometimes?

For me it is simple, during MAJOR festivals - the ones were they draw a large number of foreigners to Toronto - that the city would want to make sure that they the tourists get what they came for. A large number of tourists that are here wander around the downtown area as well -- and it would be good from a tourist point of view to make sure they have a good time (which is related to why they came here). People don't generally think -- hey I really want to visit Toronto - it does not have that much of a draw. But by focusing on major festivals - that have drawing power - we can build on our strengths to pull in more tourists in the future.

But by focusing on major festivals - that have drawing power - we can build on our strengths to pull in more tourists in the future.

I still disagree; the biggest "strength" that Toronto has is diversity. A big festival might bring people into town, but while they're here they should be able to see that the city is more than a one-trick pony.

cacruden said:
Turkish food is not that much different than Greek food..... there all the same people anyways....

Okay, now we're moving into new territory. What a foolish statement.

Okay, now we're moving into new territory. What a foolish statement.

There use to be a Turkish restaurant around the corner from me in London England -- and a large amount food was the same as what I could get in a Greek restaurant.

Although they speak different languages, they have been part of the same country (before separation) for hundreds of years (1393 - 1829). Therefore it is not surprising that culturally the Greeks and Turks are not that far apart.

For me it is simple, during MAJOR festivals - the ones were they draw a large number of foreigners to Toronto - that the city would want to make sure that they the tourists get what they came for. A large number of tourists that are here wander around the downtown area as well -- and it would be good from a tourist point of view to make sure they have a good time (which is related to why they came here).

Agreed... there were a lot of discombobulated tourists at Dundas Sq. on the weekend.

I find it quite odd that whoever is managing events for Dundas Square is completely out of sync with what is going on around in Toronto (major celebrations):

- During pride celebrations - the square was celebrating Mexican culture (but without the most important part -- FOOD).

- Then saturday I went by there and they were celebrating Turkey when the rest of Toronto was suppose to be celebrating Caribana weekend (to which large numbers of tourists were here). I would think something like setting up the largest caribean BBQ and food area would have better suited Toronto.
not sure why some posters are disagreeing with you, but yes it makes perfect sense. I'm sure many tourists who were here FOR caribana were in and around dundas square and would have much preferred to see something they came to see (ie carribean culture)

Back