News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Let's hope 52 Division announces a new building site somewhere else, then build a beautiful condo/office/retail tower on their site, pulled to the street.

If I had $100 million kicking around, I'd donate it to the city to expand this project to Lansdowne--the energy of the street really is shifting from Bathurst to Lansdowne, with new bars, cafes, stores etc opening weekly along this stretch.

Last edited:
From the City of Toronto:

Dundas West is a vibrant street where many cultures and languages meet. The City of Toronto is planning an exciting new design of this street between University Avenue and Bathurst Street.

Please join us for our final public meeting...

Dundas Street West Streetscape Improvement
** Final Public Meeting **

Monday, September 27 - 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Alexandra Park Community Centre
105 Grange Court (south of Dundas St, west of Spadina Ave)

Come to this meeting to see the final concept plan for the street. Share your thoughts and ideas.

If you require any accessibility accommodations please contact Mike Logan at the coordinates below.

Learn more about this important project at:
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/dundasw/

From the project web page:
2010-09-27_before-after.jpg

Come out to see the full plans in detail.

-Jason

Never mind the trees and sidewalks, burying the overhead wires and using attractive new poles is the major improvement to make. It's one of the biggest things we can do to make our streets look clean and modern. People who often have no interest in urban design will look at a street that may not have any litter by the curb or graffiti, but lined with big wooden poles and overhead wires and perceive it to be neglected and hence, "dirty".

I hate to see young trees planted on streets with a lot of overhead wires, knowing that if those trees do in fact grow tall, they'll have to be cut through the centre in an ugly and utilitarian way so they don't touch the wires. That's not progress in urban design at all.

Here's an interesting article about Montreal's efforts to eliminate overhead wires. They decided to bury their wires exactly 100 years ago. Within 20 years all of downtown and the old town was completed, as well as 5 major thoroughfares. The before and after photos are good, though they didn't choose the most vibrant areas.

Last edited:
Never mind the trees and sidewalks, burying the overhead wires and using attractive new poles is the major improvement to make. It's one of the biggest things we can do to make our streets look clean and modern. People who often have no interest in urban design will look at a street that may not have any litter by the curb or graffiti, but lined with big wooden poles and overhead wires and perceive it to be neglected and hence, "dirty".

I hate to see young trees planted on streets with a lot of overhead wires, knowing that if those trees do in fact grow tall, they'll have to be cut through the centre in an ugly and utilitarian way so they don't touch the wires. That's not progress in urban design at all.

Here's an interesting article about Montreal's efforts to eliminate overhead wires. They decided to bury their wires exactly 100 years ago. Within 20 years all of downtown and the old town was completed, as well as 5 major thoroughfares. The before and after photos are good, though they didn't choose the most vibrant

+1

Awesome idea - that space being used as a parking lot by the cops is such a waste, and a horrid eyesore to boot. Hopefully this will happen, but I can see Rob Ford raising a stink about it when he finds out.

Back