News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm still so paranoid about condo-related things, my first thought when the floor was shaking was that maybe I had a new neighbour who insists on blasting his 500Watt subwoofer in the afternoons... LOL

didn't even know it was an earthquake until i checked facebook.

OMG! LOL. this was a truly EPIC day! :D.. one to go down in my books...

I was in a penthouse in nycc at the time... i was totally taken off guard. it shook for a good 10 seconds... things like this don't usually happen in T.O. at least since i was born...

the epicenter was hit with a 5.5 and toronto was hit with a 3 or 4 tremor... still a good amount of shaking though.

i gotta get one of those " I survived the toronto earthquake 2010" shirts :D

Earthquake - joke in the office is Quebec is finally separating - literally.

Oh, that is a classic. Seriously though. I didn't even notice the quake. Must have had something to do with me being on the train at the time. No one around me noticed anything unusuall happening. I didn't find out till I was at the gym and people were talking. This isn't the first quake I haven't noticed though. There's been 3 I think in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Lots of downtown office workers vacated their buildings. I didn't feel anything at ground level.

eq1.jpg

How about some pictures from the NYCC penthouse?

no camera at the time :(.

back downtown i heard people didn't feel it as much (especially the g20 protestors). and i think the higher up you are the more you feel it.

Anyone know how strong downtown toronto skyscrapers are?. (and how strong of an earthquake they can survive). I can probably imagine most of the skyscrapers in the CBD can withstand strong ones.

The bloody house we were working on started shaking like mad and since we were on the roof (a pitched roof at about a 12/12 pitch), I tripped right out. I had nowhere to go really and the whole house felt like it was going to collapse on itself. What made it worse was that I didn't realise it was an earthquake til the shaking stopped, at which point I was relieved....not because it had stopped, but because I had figured out what was causing that whole damn Rosedale grand old mansion to shake.

The swaying was kinda fun. That was until I heard a few mild crack sounds from my walls and worried about drywall corners having to be repaired.

The swaying was kinda fun. That was until I heard a few mild crack sounds from my walls and worried about drywall corners having to be repaired.

i wonder how all our condo towers faired?

maybe we'll hear alot of claims in the coming years from loosened joints, masonry, etc since i don't believe our buildings are up to earthquake code.

would stuff like that be covered under Tarion or home insurance?

Last edited:
I was on the seventh floor of a mostly concrete hospital and the place shook like a waterbed...not visibly or violently, but in slow, almost nauseating rolls. Everyone could stand and walk fine and just stood around looking out the window for signs of shaking or quaking until someone decided that standing in a doorway wasn't good enough and that we should all run down the stairs, which we did because none of us had any better ideas. Would someone in California or Japan tell a crowd to run for stairs instead of hide under a massive wooden conference table that was in the room? Fleeing did feel better than staying inside. After about 10 minutes of standing outside (where we would have been crushed by falling concrete had it been a Big One), a woman went back in with a baby in a stroller, and we were all like, 'well, if she's going back in, I'm going, too.'

Going outside is more dangerous than staying inside, unless the building you're in is not well constructed or really old. You risk being hit by falling debris (cladding, bricks, etc.) The best thing to do is take cover inside the building.

As far as my experience, I was in Mississauga in an office building on the third floor. It started out as a shaking up and down for about 10-15 seconds, then a rolling waving motion for another 10.
The ceiling tiles were making sounds, and then the door and walls creaked a bit, and I thought it was a tornado, and the roof was going to come off of the building. It was pretty freaky stuff. There were no windows in the office I was in, so we looked outside the door and noticed it was completely sunny.

Never really felt it sitting outside in the sun, But the quake sure made a weird sound, i knew it wasn't thunder i thought maybe a plane had crashed near by or a building implosion.

It is reported that the earthquake started at 1:41 EDST, but was felt in Toronto at 1:43 EDST. That means 2 minutes for the waves to reach Toronto. If someone was on the phone with someone in Ottawa, they were have gotten an early warning.

OMG! LOL. this was a truly EPIC day! :D.. one to go down in my books...

I was in a penthouse in nycc at the time... i was totally taken off guard. it shook for a good 10 seconds... things like this don't usually happen in T.O. at least since i was born...

the epicenter was hit with a 5.5 and toronto was hit with a 3 or 4 tremor... still a good amount of shaking though.

i gotta get one of those " I survived the toronto earthquake 2010" shirts :D
The earthquake in January was bigger, in fact it was the biggest in 65 years. Earthquakes happen very regularly in Toronto (earthquakes are measurable all around the world from a single quake), but we rarely notice them.

The first or second time you notice them there is a novelity to it. I was working in India in 2001 when they had a 7.9 magnitude quake, which was scary at the time. Having aftershocks every couple days for the next four months that were bigger than yesterday, it got annoying after awhile.

Back