News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

there was another blackout last night in the area, prob the fourth in as many months...and there wasn't a storm...anyone know the reasons for the spike?

Hey guys,

I'm a 2nd generation Greek living at Pape and Floyd (stereotypical I know). I'm glad a thread finally got started for the East York area.

Anyway, I can tell you that lately there has been a new wave of Greeks coming into the area. As a result, It seems that Pape slowly is turning into Greektown 2.0. Along with places such as Greek Grill and Folia Grill, shops such as El Greco and Tsatziki have opened. A new Greek restaurant is also opening soon at the corner of Pape and Westwood.

I have envisioned Pape lined with mid-rise developments but I also don't want to lose the vibe of the area.

Question,
There is (finally) a development proposal for the south-east corner of Pape and O'Connor which has been an empty lot since I was a kid. How long has it been empty for? What was there before? and does anyone have pictures of that corner?

They remediated that site about 10 years ago. It was vacant before, and has been since. If it needed an environmental clean-up, I assume that it was a gas bar or something. People who've been in the area longer than me might know more.

The corner was a gas station as was the NE corner when I walked past it to school in the mid to late 1940's

there was another blackout last night in the area, prob the fourth in as many months...and there wasn't a storm...anyone know the reasons for the spike?

I am not really sure of the time -- maybe 12:15 a.m.?? -- when everything just hiccuped. Two seconds maybe at most. Just enough to make me reset the clocks on my stove and microwave.

In answer to other questions ...

I have a vague recollection of a gas station on that SE corner, as others have indicated.

I haven't tried TzaTziki but, every time I pass it, it seems busy.

I am still convinced that, what with all the teardowns and second story adds, that area will improve very quickly. I remember when Queen E. was all used auto parts, pawn shops and tattoo parlours -- and that wasn't that long ago.

And welcome Flint!

For those who haven't seen it, I thought I would post the City's preliminary planning report on the proposed development. Councillor Fragedakis is apparently setting up a working group with the applicant and area residents.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-71575.pdf

Thanks for posting. Aside from one of the setbacks (the north side), it seems pretty inoffensive to me, assuming it's well-designed. I'm trying to think of my dream tenants on the retail floor. A cafe wouldn't get enough walk-by traffic, IMO. A good little restaurant (but, please, not another Greek one) might work. A produce store?

Incidentally, in that little old strip mall across the street is a very good fish (mostly salmon) place.
http://www.valentinossmokinsalmon.com/

Also in that mall is V Nails, which I like a lot. (In case any women read this thread!)

More than one person on Twitter was frustrated last night with Toronto Hydro's vague explanation of the location of the hydro outage. While the old East York/Danforth boundary does drop below the Danforth just to the west of Shoppers World, the area south of Danforth and between Main and Luttrell is old city of Toronto. Even the area immediately north of Danforth at that spot is still old City of Toronto, up almost to Dentonia (the old boundary drops southward just east of Avonlea Blvd.). It sounds to me like none of the power outage, or very little of it, was in East York. Yet Toronto Hydro kept issuing advisories all night for East York.

While the old East York/Danforth boundary does drop below the Danforth just to the west of Shoppers World, the area south of Danforth and between Main and Luttrell is old city of Toronto.
If you look at the boundary, it's the property line between the backyards on the east side of Luttrell and Shoppers World. Even the parking lot south of Shoppers World was the old City of Toronto - the boundary is the southern edge Shoppers World structure (the loading dock for Metro seems to have been added later and is in Toronto rather than East York).

Literally the only portion of East York south of Danforth IS Shoppers World.

Given they kept mentioning Queen Street, I don't know what they were thinking.

Can we skip all the boundary discussion and get back to the frequency of all the blackouts in the "east end"...and I don't even live within East York!

Can we skip all the boundary discussion and get back to the frequency of all the blackouts in the "east end"...and I don't even live within East York!
You and most everyone who lived through the East York blackout this week!

Have there been more? I haven't noticed that much ... other than when I've seen the tree lying on the power line on my street. Or Hydro has already been on my street doing major work before the power went out.

It will surely get worse though, given the denial of the extra rate increase that Toronto Hydro said was essential in order to do the work to upgrade the system.

Back