News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Phyllo Cafe on the corner or Pape and Cosburn has been a success. Packed full every time I walk by. Earlier in January, they were featured on BlogTO.

I have not been, but Phyllo Cafe seems like a very nice addition to the strip. When Eleven11 went belly up, I was hopeful that something interesting would take over that corner. I started to despair as the old Eleven11 space was slowly re-divided into separate retail units and leased to crappy/tacky/cheap vape and mobile phone outlets, but then the signs for Phyllo Cafe went up on the corner and I was hopeful that the corner space would at least be occupied by something good. Looks like it is.

Not surprised to see phyllo cafe doing well, have been twice and been impressed both times, the pastries are excellent as are the coffees. It amazes me Just how many Greek establishments have swarmed up and down the pape strip in recent years, it felt dead about 5 years ago

I'd also recommend Florida Greek restaurant as well, this was primarily an old timers hang out in the past , the daughters of the original owners have taken over and it's really come a long way. Has a great vibe and the food is delicious.

Also popped into folia recently and its just as good as it was when it first opened, I think the last Albanian owners have departed and it's Greek run again.

After all that you got cafe serano coming soon, that's pretty much guaranteed to be a hit.

Thanks for the rundown, Geo21. Folia is indeed still excellent. I noticed Florida for the first time ever driving down Pape Thursday; they must have changed the signage to be more visible. Going to have to try it some time. Also nice to see Phyllo doing well.

BTW I drove down Pape around 6 pm, and the McDonald's was packed. I was like, "you half a block from Folia and you choose THIS?"

I want to try the one just across from Florida, think it's called Pape Village Greek Restaurant with new signage, was formerly known as Greek boy, I'm going to guess they have rebranded from a normal souv place to an actual restaurant with expanded menu.

The McDonald's seems to be popular with elderly Greeks, this has been a mystery to me for years when you have Greek eateries on every corner.

The McDonald's seems to be popular with elderly Greeks, this has been a mystery to me for years when you have Greek eateries on every corner.

I don't think that the much smaller eateries, with their limited seating, would be as tolerant of so many elderly Greeks nursing their coffees, gossiping and talking politics for hours. It's like a village square. Everybody comes out. I don't see them eating much. Just having coffee.

The Serano Cafe will most likely be on the smaller size. The owners of Serano Bakery needed additional space and had intended to use the new building as a back up factory. However they had to add a small cafe to meet the zoning bylaw for minimum square footage.

CLICKON Mac Solutions has moved into the corner store at 212 O’Connor (Chilton corner); I think they were down on Eastern previously.

I was surprised to see a legitimate business given the history of corner stores selling expired snacks and illegal cigarettes.

Nice to have that, although I have been loyal to Riverdale Mac for 20 years. Competition could be good. I see they buy old Mac devices. I've been thinking of a new iPad. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, for the vegans among us, a branch of Apiecalypse Now opened on Pape, just north of Serano Bakery and opposite KFC. It does pizzas, poutines and more. Unfortunately, take out only.

Even if you're a carnivore, it's still good news because it's great to have another indie non-Greek place move into the Pape strip. Diversity is good.

By the way, for the vegans among us, a branch of Apiecalypse Now opened on Pape, just north of Serano Bakery and opposite KFC. It does pizzas, poutines and more. Unfortunately, take out only.

Even if you're a carnivore, it's still good news because it's great to have another indie non-Greek place move into the Pape strip. Diversity is good.

Has that replaced Cosmos Cafe or is it next door?

It's official. Dollarama (*fake cheer*) is coming to the empty building at 1099 Broadview Avenue (east side of the street, at Hillsdale Dr., a couple of blocks north of Mortimer, not too far from Sobey's). Seemingly odd location for retail of that scale and nature, but presumably the abundant surface parking was key to its appeal to Dollarama (not to mention proximity to the Cosburn corridor). Originally a car dealership (the dealership that was originally located where Carrot Common is on Danforth moved here), then a Mormon temple, with a few other uses possibly in between, I am presusing that Dollarama is an interim use of the building until the owner is ready to move forward with some form of more intense redevelopment.

View attachment 99595

You called it. The sign is already up. The shelves are being stocked. As for the "interim" theory, it's still good. However, given that the area is zoned for low to mid-rise, maybe whoever owns this spot is taking a wait and see attitude re. the proposed developments at the Salvation Army property across the street and, just south of this, the one for Mortimer and Broadview. Both of them are getting much resistance at the City level, although they have appealed to the OMB.

Back