News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Well - this snuck up on me - it's scheduled to take 3 years!!!

View attachment 570239
Yes, they have started to remove the artwork below the 'bridge' over Lower Rive Street (Underpass Park). It will be put back once the bridge above is fixed.

does this include bike lanes once complete? Eastern ave is noted in the 2025-2027 plan

Key Major City-Wide Routes advancing to near-term study or design include: .....The Eastern Avenue Bridge over the Don Rive

does this include bike lanes once complete? Eastern ave is noted in the 2025-2027 plan
That's what the posting linked to says!

The work also includes construction of a multi-use trail on the Eastern Avenue Bridge (ID264). This work will ensure that the bridges meet today’s standards and remain safe for vehicles and pedestrians into the future. The project is part of the Council-approved 2024 Capital Works Program.

does this include bike lanes once complete?

I think I said that in post #1 of this thread.

The answer is yes.

* But they will not be usable until the very end of the project..........they will be phased in with the road work.......so there will be stranded segments early on.......

On Chris Moise's blog

1717698953866.png

I don’t drive, but even I’m starting to wonder if we can’t have a citizen group doing analysis on these projects. Even the mob wouldn’t drag this stuff out for this long.

This, Gardiner, North Market, Union, Metrolinx. Kinda can’t wait too much longer for a politician to learn coherence and either explain or investigate. Maybe a team of retired engineers can make a YouTube channel on the topic of civic problems in building.

I don’t drive, but even I’m starting to wonder if we can’t have a citizen group doing analysis on these projects. Even the mob wouldn’t drag this stuff out for this long.

This, Gardiner, North Market, Union, Metrolinx. Kinda can’t wait too much longer for a politician to learn coherence and either explain or investigate. Maybe a team of retired engineers can make a YouTube channel on the topic of civic problems in building.

Well, it's a $65 million project that involves replacing the asphalt, repairing the concrete roadway, replacing the bridge walls, replacing expansion joints, repairing underside steel trusses, building a new multi-use path (which requires some road reconfiguration), and building two portions of multi-use pathway along Power Street, all while keeping one lane of each bridge and portions of Underpass Park open for the duration of the project, so I think 2.5 years is fair.

I hope that when the multi-use path and roadway are rebuilt, there is some consideration given to traffic calming measures. I certainly won't miss the douchebags in motorcycles and souped-up Civics ripping off the DVP at 120km/h all summer.

I wish there were pictures of the detailed design so we could understand how the multi-use path is intended to work. I'm a bit surprised there weren't any public consultations on this project.

William Van Horne built the 4,700km long Canadian Pacific railway in 4 years, and it was delivered 5 years early!

William Van Horne built the 4,700km long Canadian Pacific railway in 4 years, and it was delivered 5 years early!

Admittedly with lots of imported, forced labour, under harsh conditions, with rather lax safety.

At least 600 construction deaths.

To be clear, I do think work on many projects could and should be expedited. I would just be cautious about the particular comparison you chose.

I would be disappointed in a new strategy that somehow makes road construction and maintenance magically easy and quick.

I wonder what the city leaders of the 1950's would have said if the had a crystal ball that showed them just how much effort and money would go into maintaining the Gardiner/DVP over the next 100 years.

On a life-cycle basis, I wonder what value engineering would have done to the whole concept.

Will we be repeating this exercise in 50 years ?

- Paul

Even the mob wouldn’t drag this stuff out for this long.
... all while keeping one lane of each bridge and portions of Underpass Park open for the duration of the project, so I think 2.5 years is fair.
...I certainly won't miss the douchebags in motorcycles and souped-up Civics ripping off the DVP at 120km/h all summer.
Just to add... The DVP ramp is only slated to be closed for a few months (not 3 years) with schedule to be announced.

Back