News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I paid a visit today and had a good look.

There are hints of updates throughout the newer parts of the mall. The escalator down to HMV and the railings surrounding Old Navy are glass plates with silver tubular rails along the top. I'd like to see this applied throughout.

Tiles in newer parts of the mall are also cleaner and better designed.

Are the atrium skylight glass tiles frosted? They're not clear at all.

I would still suggest replacing the glass with the kind replaced on the Yonge+Dundas entrance. The glass seems to be self cleaning and the bond between panes is thin and dark. Maintain the supporting structure and the gothic arch though.

The area in front of Shoppers Drug Mart and The Sony Store has a "low ceiling". For some reason, that part of the mall isn't opened to above so it's always sort of gloomy down there.

I like the mall for the most part, and really it's the south food court and flooring that needs an update. In some places the tiles are cracked, dull, and very dated. The food court is cramped and stuffy as well. Other than that I'd just needs a nice clean and polish, and an update of the railings. Something like this throughout would be nice:

railinggi1.jpg

Er...people?!? I just offered the fact that Eaton Centre might be crossing over into the latent heritage realm, and you're still proposing new railings?

Er...people?!? I just offered the fact that Eaton Centre might be crossing over into the latent heritage realm, and you're still proposing new railings?

I have to agree with Adma. The mall has a nice look to it, with the railings and elevators and all, and I am afraid that any of the suggested "improvements" would actually end up doing a lot of damage to the asthetic quality of the mall, not to mention giving it a generic-nowhere look.

Handsome yes but way too small. Since I became a stroller pushing dad I've come to realize what a pain it is to get around the mall with wheels. You can barely get two strollers into the elevators. And that's if people that could use the escalators aren't already taking up space.

I love the elevators, but agree that they are too small. They were clearly built before the size of strollers expanded, and before anyone cared too much about people in wheelchairs and with other disabilities.

They are also very confusing. At each elevator bank, there is only one elevator that serves levels 1 and 2 of the mall - the others serve the parkade. I ride them up to the parkade almost every day, and shoppers are constantly getting on, and then realizing that the elevator is taking them to the garage and does not descend into the mall any lower that the 3rd floor. It's frustrating when people who want to go to the parkade can't get on the elevator because people who want to go to the rest of the mall have gotten on the wrong elevator. There is also a lot of confusion when elevator doors open -- shoppers can't quite figure out where it is going, there is the inevitable traffic jam of confused shoppers and baby strollers, and everyone is delayed. CF has changed the signage a few times, but people don't seem to read it.

I don't know what the solution is, because if you modified the elevators so that they all served both the mall and the parkade, that would encourage even more able-bodied stroller-less shoppers to use them, and it would become quite time-consuming to get up to the parkade.

I find part of the problem is that the esclators are not designed properly for getting from one floor to another quickly. This is usually not a problem for two-floor malls, but to get from floor 1 to floor 3 (or from either floor 2 or 3 to the south end of floor 0), it's intentionally indirect. Maybe that's why so many people use the elevators when they don't need them.

They just need better signage for the elevators.

And I'm with Adma. Leave it along. As nice as Yorkdale is today I'd rather it had remained as built (at least the section that first opened in 1964).

I find part of the problem is that the esclators are not designed properly for getting from one floor to another quickly. This is usually not a problem for two-floor malls, but to get from floor 1 to floor 3 (or from either floor 2 or 3 to the south end of floor 0), it's intentionally indirect. Maybe that's why so many people use the elevators when they don't need them.

The other issue I have is the fact that each individual floor is not level. There's stairs in two (or three?) locations to compensate for the the fact that Dundas Street is higher than Queen. For strollers and wheelchairs there are ramps. Of course the ramps are on the west side while the elevators are on the east side meaning you have to go around. And the ramps are narrow.

Obviously whoever planned this wasn't in a wheelchair. Mind you I never gave it any thought until it impacted my life.

Both foodcourts are absolutely terrible, but the south is much more tired. It's definitely in need of a rennovation. Maybe they'll be able to attract some higher-quality foodcourt tenants (Lettuce, Hero, maybe one of the new burrito establishments sweeping toronto foodcourts...)

edit: I must be getting this idea from the TD Centre foodcourt, which was rennovated a couple of years ago and the quality has increased noticeably.

I agree about the foodcourt and skylight. Maybe I wouldn't go with a totally different version but just clean up the glass there now and make it look consistent. The railings and such really give it a sense of time and don't really look that bad but the foodcourt definitely needs an update. Something nice and modern like one at the San Francisco Westfield downtown. That foodcourt was beautiful. It seems like the mall is trying to go more upscale and the foodcourt should as well.
That foodcourt would be a perfect inspiration for them. Easily the best I've ever set foot in.

This begs to mention: The Eaton Centre's main mall looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 80's. The floors are old and in need of a good polish (or replacement), the railings seem reminiscent of a prison, the vaulted atrium ceiling glass tiles are opaque from dirt and the general off
For the most part I think it looks fine and the eighties-nish of it all is one of its selling points.

I can't help but think of this ad here.

I agree with you that the Dundas entrance redevelopment was very disappointing. However, the previous Dundas foyer had been destroyed years and years before, looking nothing like what was originally intended, and the lower levels had deteriorated to pretty marginal retail. However, it would have been nice if they had restored the foyer and entrance, rather than replacing it with the soulless box that sits there now.
Agreed, the new atrium is very functional, albeit bland. I don't know why they can't bring back the artwork at least.

I don't really see a point for food courts at the Eaton Centre. Why not move all the fast food franchises out of the Eaton Centre to Yonge Street, Queen Street and Dundas Street? Get people to step out of the mall for a cheap bite. That would help to improve street life around the Eaton Centre.
Well, that's sort of what Toronto Life Square is doing (with their foodcourt) competing with the Eaton Centre's.

Both foodcourts are absolutely terrible, but the south is much more tired. It's definitely in need of a rennovation. Maybe they'll be able to attract some higher-quality foodcourt tenants (Lettuce, Hero, maybe one of the new burrito establishments sweeping toronto foodcourts...)
edit: I must be getting this idea from the TD Centre foodcourt, which was rennovated a couple of years ago and the quality has increased noticeably.
That's probably my favourite food court in the city right now.

Time for some floor-skipping express escalators (like this pair in Hong Kong's Langham Place).

2122264002_a9e29e585d_o.jpg

^ That's a great idea provided they could match the new escalators to the current ones. Something from the South foodcourt to the Apple store area could work as well as an escalator from the lower level near the SONY Store to the entrance of Sears near Trinity Church.

They just need better signage for the elevators.

And I'm with Adma. Leave it along. As nice as Yorkdale is today I'd rather it had remained as built (at least the section that first opened in 1964).

Excellent point. Remember: the new parts might be fresh and shiny; but the Eatons mushrooms are no longer, the Simpson's court's been fussed up and mussed up, and even the mall proper's been monkeyed with a little more than necessary in the name of vanquishing "datedness"...

Excellent point. Remember: the new parts might be fresh and shiny; but the Eatons mushrooms are no longer, the Simpson's court's been fussed up and mussed up, and even the mall proper's been monkeyed with a little more than necessary in the name of vanquishing "datedness"...

Excellent points. A lot of the best elements of Yorkdale have actually been destroyed in the name of "updating", with predictably lame results.

Back