What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Would love for Beljan to have this one in their portfolio. Even if it means having to wait awhile while they got other stuff done...I'd rather be patient and wait if it meant knowing that something of a high quality and standard will go here eventually.

There are not many sites in the whole city I'd want Beljan to purchase and redevelop more than this one. Frankly, I have little trust in any other owner to A: not be an absentee speculative owner that lets it rot and B: actually do the history of the site any justice with a redevelopment.

The existing building could be nicely subdivided into several smaller retail spaces, kind of like old United Cycle building on Whyte Ave was.

Having the large usable basement space could provide additional space for storage or for retail at a lower per square foot cost.

Or... hear me out... Have a thematic basement bar/arcade that caters to a demographic different from Beercade.
Yes. I went to Beercade once for my brother-in-law's birthday—he's a big video game guy, and when the clock struck 10 we felt woefully out of place. I swear there was not a person that looked over 20 and it was packed.

Or... hear me out... Have a thematic basement bar/arcade that caters to a demographic different from Beercade.
I would love if this became similar to midnight market in Toronto. The location is perfect and it would become a huge draw I'd bet.

I still really liked the original proposal for this. If whoever snaps this up (in a perfect world Beljan or RNDSQR like Ian suggested) you know they would do some great things with this. I could see a hotel or some residences be added above to help add some regular foot traffic to the area too.

I really hope this site does not sit vacant for long as its a huge eye sore in one of Whyte's most popular/busiest areas.

Back