News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Agree the city would be very well served through a ad campaign. I would steer away from anything too cheeky like "Edmonton: It's better than you thought" only because I worry about those words being used for too many parody posts and the like overshadowing what could be a great initiative.

He's right.

There was a player poll done a few years ago and Winnipeg and Edmonton were near the top as least desirable places that players want to go and play. That's why the Jets had to overpay to keep someone like Blake Wheeler around, an American.
Evander Kane took less to come here.

Good win for the Oilers tonight. I'm not sure how much you guys follow what the other players say on social media and I apologise if this was already discussed but Marchand recently got into it with some Oilers fans. Now as much as I hate the guy I can't help but feel that his words are echoed by the majority of Canadians out there, especially those that don't live in our province. I personally don't know of anyone from Ontario, Quebec or BC that wants to just come here and visit us; unless you count my family from the GTA of course but that's only because of me. Does it feel that way for you guys too? I mean when have you heard someone that's not from the Prairies say "I hope to visit Edmonton someday"? I've heard people say "I want to see Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto etc..." but never Edmonton. Now I understand that we don't have the ocean, we don't have the giant skyscrapers, we don't have the CN tower and arguably, we don't have the downtown that people want to see; but are we at least on our way there? Are we on the right track to becoming "that city" or am I just being too pessimistic over here and just not seeing things right?

Untitled.jpg
As a francophone I can tell you that a lot of people from Quebec are moving here to Alberta and especially Edmonton. There's a huge campaign right now by Québécois who moved here recently to influence others to move here.

Also, lots of people still come to Edmonton at least because of the West Edmonton Mall. But, yeah Edmonton could be marketed a bit better outside the city and the province. I have family members living out east that didn't know much about Edmonton and they had only negative things to say about it. But when they came here they were actually pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the Brad Marchand thing, I hate to say it but his point has some merit to it. I disagree with him saying that no one would take a pay cut or wants to play hockey here. There are a lot of players from Alberta and Canada in general who have no problem with the cold and love to play in hockey cities, they feel at home here, and now that we have a good team with a good leadership group we are having less trouble attracting players to our city because the main things players want to do is win, but it is still a problem.

If someone offered you a job on the Tampa Bay Lightning, a better team, better weather, Florida beaches, no state tax and also no ultra aggressive media trying to get a headline out of you vs the Edmonton Oilers, where would you choose to play? Not to mention these guys have wives and families and as we've seen in the past some would rather live in California than Edmonton.

It is a sad truth that Edmonton does have a bad reputation, if you take a look at our current 22 man roster you have 10 players we drafted, 5 players acquired through trade where they had no say in the matter (no clauses attached to their contracts), 1 outcast (Evander Kane) who despite being an excellent hockey player came to Edmonton for $2 million last year because practically no one else showed interest, and the remaining 6 were Free Agent signings. Of those 6, 4 had recently played on Canadian teams so they were used to the taxes and media etc, and the other 2 are depth forwards just searching for a job. Around the league it is a fact that a lot of No Trade Clauses include the Edmonton Oilers on them, us and Winnipeg are the 2 most commonly found on such clauses. Often these clauses contain all 7 Canadian teams, or all 7 Canadian teams except Toronto, or others that have Edmonton, Calgary. Winnipeg, Columbus etc. Also look no further than Andrei Kuzmenko coming over as a Free Agent from Russia looking to sign a league minimum contract to enter the NHL, his options were narrowed down to Edmonton and Vancouver, we are the much better contending team out of the 2 who could promise him ice time with the best player in the world, and after one look at each city he signed in Vancouver.

As mentioned above once people/players actually come to Edmonton they find it to be a perfectly fine city. The crime is over-exaggerated, we all know the troubles with the core but the issues are no different than many large North American cities, our hockey facilities are world class, and the city loves the team to death. There are of course people who don't like the weather but there are some who love it, recently acquired Mattias Ekholm's wife is from northern Sweden and she already loves the place, plans to spend even her summer here. Evander Kane felt more welcomed in Edmonton than anywhere else in his career and took a pay cut to stay and help the team win. Brett Kulak (From Edmonton) resigned this offseason and Klim Kostin who has become a fan favourite in the city is all smiles and playing the best hockey of his life, already suggesting he would like to stay.

Marchand's main point by the way was also regarding the all star game, where I do agree with him. He said that if the all star game were in Edmonton that a lot of players would try to skip it, I don't think that would actually happen but the all star break is a time to let players relax before the second more taxing half of the season, why make them and their families spend it in Edmonton in February. In my opinion the location of the all star game should be static like it is in some other sports. Put it in Vegas every year, all the guys love it and the Golden Knights do an excellent job with presentation. Or maybe even do something like put it in a European city and try to grow the game outside of North America.

I think we are more suited for hosting a draft, which occurs in June and everyone is more focused on hockey and not vacation.

Edmonton will always face an uphill battle in attracting free agents and players. Weather, remote location, hard travel schedule, taxes and aggressive media puts off a lot of players. The issues faced here are shared with all other Canadian cities. The extent and severity are all dependent on some factors but Edmonton and Winnipeg perhaps have the hardest time of the bunch. At the end of the day it doesnt prevent the Oilers from having a great team. Players ultimately want to win and don't care where they do so as long as they think they have a legit shot at a Stanley Cup. Drafting and grooming players is the best way at keeping guys around and the Oilers + Jets have done a good job at keeping guys here for many years through drafting.

There are a lot of players who do love or at least enjoy playing here so it's not the biggest issue. Marchand's comments stem from the fact players do not want to spend what is supposed to be their "reset" in a frozen tundra in the middle of winter. He's not wrong.

I think the biggest thing here is that the city should be doing a better job of campaigning and getting people to come visit the city at all times of the year. Part of that is creating and maintaining facilities and activities for people to actually want to come check out and experience. Another is shaking off the image of being an industrial/sketchy frozen place and try to learn what's been successful for other cities similar to us (Calgary and Ottawa for example) in attracting tourists.

Yesterday I was at the airport in Vancouver flying home and there was a family of four in the lineup waiting to board telling me they are spending their spring break vacation at WEM. The two kids love the Waterpark so much and it's one of the most affordable vacations (flying Flair) that's easy, low stress and lots to do.

Made me wonder if Flair should partner with WEM in that regard and put together a family (affordable) vacation package and market that or maybe that's already happening.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was at the airport in Vancouver flying home and there was a family of four in the lineup waiting to board telling me they are spending their spring break vacation at WEM. The two kids love the Waterpark so much and it's one of the most affordable vacations (flying Flair) that's easy, low stress and lots to do.

Made me wonder if Flair should partner with WEM in that regard and put together a family (affordable) vacation package and market that or maybe that's already happening.
A package deal with Flair and WEM is a great idea, hopefully they see it the same way.

Regarding the Brad Marchand thing, I hate to say it but his point has some merit to it. I disagree with him saying that no one would take a pay cut or wants to play hockey here. There are a lot of players from Alberta and Canada in general who have no problem with the cold and love to play in hockey cities, they feel at home here, and now that we have a good team with a good leadership group we are having less trouble attracting players to our city because the main things players want to do is win, but it is still a problem.

If someone offered you a job on the Tampa Bay Lightning, a better team, better weather, Florida beaches, no state tax and also no ultra aggressive media trying to get a headline out of you vs the Edmonton Oilers, where would you choose to play? Not to mention these guys have wives and families and as we've seen in the past some would rather live in California than Edmonton.

It is a sad truth that Edmonton does have a bad reputation, if you take a look at our current 22 man roster you have 10 players we drafted, 5 players acquired through trade where they had no say in the matter (no clauses attached to their contracts), 1 outcast (Evander Kane) who despite being an excellent hockey player came to Edmonton for $2 million last year because practically no one else showed interest, and the remaining 6 were Free Agent signings. Of those 6, 4 had recently played on Canadian teams so they were used to the taxes and media etc, and the other 2 are depth forwards just searching for a job. Around the league it is a fact that a lot of No Trade Clauses include the Edmonton Oilers on them, us and Winnipeg are the 2 most commonly found on such clauses. Often these clauses contain all 7 Canadian teams, or all 7 Canadian teams except Toronto, or others that have Edmonton, Calgary. Winnipeg, Columbus etc. Also look no further than Andrei Kuzmenko coming over as a Free Agent from Russia looking to sign a league minimum contract to enter the NHL, his options were narrowed down to Edmonton and Vancouver, we are the much better contending team out of the 2 who could promise him ice time with the best player in the world, and after one look at each city he signed in Vancouver.

As mentioned above once people/players actually come to Edmonton they find it to be a perfectly fine city. The crime is over-exaggerated, we all know the troubles with the core but the issues are no different than many large North American cities, our hockey facilities are world class, and the city loves the team to death. There are of course people who don't like the weather but there are some who love it, recently acquired Mattias Ekholm's wife is from northern Sweden and she already loves the place, plans to spend even her summer here. Evander Kane felt more welcomed in Edmonton than anywhere else in his career and took a pay cut to stay and help the team win. Brett Kulak (From Edmonton) resigned this offseason and Klim Kostin who has become a fan favourite in the city is all smiles and playing the best hockey of his life, already suggesting he would like to stay.

Marchand's main point by the way was also regarding the all star game, where I do agree with him. He said that if the all star game were in Edmonton that a lot of players would try to skip it, I don't think that would actually happen but the all star break is a time to let players relax before the second more taxing half of the season, why make them and their families spend it in Edmonton in February. In my opinion the location of the all star game should be static like it is in some other sports. Put it in Vegas every year, all the guys love it and the Golden Knights do an excellent job with presentation. Or maybe even do something like put it in a European city and try to grow the game outside of North America.

I think we are more suited for hosting a draft, which occurs in June and everyone is more focused on hockey and not vacation.
I believe that Kuzmenko's reasoning for not signing with the Oilers was that we were not willing to promise him top-6 minutes and top powerplay time which Vancouver was. It was a smart move for him career wise. He's lighting it up on a fairly terrible team right now and will be able to get a big raise next year. Probably wouldn't be close to that getting 3rd line time with the Oilers. Sure the cities themselves probably played somewhat of a role but I'm pretty sure his primary reason was ice time concerns.

I believe that Kuzmenko's reasoning for not signing with the Oilers was that we were not willing to promise him top-6 minutes and top powerplay time which Vancouver was. It was a smart move for him career wise. He's lighting it up on a fairly terrible team right now and will be able to get a big raise next year. Probably wouldn't be close to that getting 3rd line time with the Oilers. Sure the cities themselves probably played somewhat of a role but I'm pretty sure his primary reason was ice time concerns.
I hope so but that would make me a little mad at Ken Holland because everyone knows that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto were both better suited as 3rd liners due to their lack of finishing, therefore we did have a spot open in the top 6 that would have either McDavid or Draisaitl as your center. As we've seen in the past that is usually a big attractor for the Oilers. I think it was a bit of both, you're right guaranteed PP time probably played a role but I feel like if you switched the rosters and we give him the promise of more ice time and Vancouver gives our pitch he still goes to Vancouver.

I can see it now...

After discovering the magestic Noto Valley you head to Southern France to Basque on the Nice riviera followed by swimming with the turtles in Costa Rice and then connect to Edmonton and want to have a chat with Kelsey & 'the experts' after enjoying the unique world of craft beer on 99st.

Don't get me wrong, some of the indigenous experiences, Fort Ed and Elk Island can be unique, but these kinds of paid blurbs can actually be a disservice.

But you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, I guess.

I can see it now...

After discovering the magestic Noto Valley you head to Southern France to Basque on the Nice riviera followed by swimming with the turtles in Costa Rice and then connect to Edmonton and want to have a chat with Kelsey & 'the experts' after enjoying the unique world of craft beer on 99st.will it hel

Don't get me wrong, some of the indigenous experiences, Fort Ed and Elk Island can be unique, but these kinds of paid blurbs can actually be a disservice.

But you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, I guess.
yes, these aren't much better than paid advertorials but there is something to be said for "any news is good news".

is edmonton really an alternative location to japan - where the entire country got an equivalent listing to edmonton - or nice or hong kong etc.? of course not. but how many people - particularly how many americans - are going to visit any of the 30 locations on that list in their lifetimes?

what the lists do is at least create an awareness of edmonton as a city/region and let people know where we are in the world (which the article at least did a reasonable job of) and some of the things that are attractive here. they might not generate much independent tourism but they're probably invaluable over time in getting convention and meeting planners to consider us as a viable host city for their next gathering knowing that there are things here to engage and interest spouses and significant eithers of either sex.

"any news is good news"

Nope, it's not.

But to your point, awareness is great and that's a win here, but:

1. Do we have great air connections for direct/easy flights?
2. Are the hotel offerings modern, updated, clean, value delivering, up to snuff?
3. Do our urban, walkable, tourist experiences deliver?
4. Can you wander, meander and find amazing things?
5. What will be the report back home?

Back