News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is there actually shortage of parking at CCM? their entire basement is a parkade on both sides. Would demolishing that above ground parkade be that big of a loss in terms of supply of available parking?

You mean the basements that used to be retail where we asked a similar, but opposite question but 10-15yrs ago?

City Center does need a lot of work. I graduated last year from MacEwan and I only went to that mall once since it actually felt unsafe taking the pedways. Since I live close to Summerside, I would just stop by Southgate on the way home instead of City Center. While my friends who lived on the north side, they would just stop at Kingsway.

It was the closest mall to the university, but most people still would rather go to other malls. The mall just really doesn't offer anything besides a quick food option, which the university already provides a decent option.

If you are just looking at traffic for the mall and it's various uses/tenants there is plenty of parking. The parkades are used for folks attending events downtown, grabbing dinner, or working nearby also. The way the area has developed the parkades aren't ideally situated aesthetically but from a business perspective they make sense.

Honestly even just reconfiguring the west parkade such that 80% of the main level is event/entertainment space (like a Rec Room, megalounge, etc) would be great at improving the streetfront and probably make the CRUs fronting 103rd Ave in Stantec more lucrative.

You mean the basements that used to be retail where we asked a similar, but opposite question but 10-15yrs ago?
To be fair, this mall was actually built in a time before large underground parkades were common downtown. So the conversion of the basement space to parking made some sense as retrofitting, but not in other ways.

For instance, lest we forget, before that happened, much of that basement space was actually leased to various retailers. I suspect often to tenants who wanted more affordable space, who then were shuffled around wildly to fill empty spaces on the main, second and perennially problematic third level (that probably should have never been added IMO). It turned out to be a terrible management decision for the retailers and did not go well.

However, as long as parking is a more profitable use of space, what is there will likely remain as is. So I don't see the west above ground parkade disappearing until it is lucrative to build something else, maybe in 10 years or so.

IKEA in the Bay with a distribution centre given how much room and loading bays are there.
Was in Stockholm in August and was able to visit the IKEA in one of the main shopping malls, would absolutely love one in city centre, especially because it's much easier to get to than the Southside
20230807_152802.jpg
20230807_152306.jpg

When I worked on the Ikea expansion a few years back. I talked with the Ikea Project manager about YEG, He indicated that they would eventually build a new larger facility since Edmonton and Calgary are considered to be quite small facilities currently. The expansions were just to get storage area up to a more usable level. No word on going with a smaller store front version since we lack warehouse facilities as is. And yes he did say if they build it will be in the west more likely.

The problem with IKEA is given its location and size of the city, a lot of people from further away don't go there much. It is quite a trek from the north side and even for people in central areas. A smaller central location could easily address that quite nicely.

Putting something in the west end would be a bigger undertaking, but could allow them to cover over half the city, which I suppose is better than what they are doing now with what they have way down on the south side.

Edmonton likely wouldn't get another store for another decade as it inches towards 2 million. Unless IKEA changes how they do things. But there are a lot of other places that are probably better for them to go first. A 3rd store in Montreal, a 4th full-sized store in the GTA, a store in Kitchener-Waterloo, London, maybe Victoria.

The problem with IKEA is given its location and size of the city, a lot of people from further away don't go there much. It is quite a trek from the north side and even for people in central areas. A smaller central location could easily address that quite nicely.

Putting something in the west end would be a bigger undertaking, but could allow them to cover over half the city, which I suppose is better than what they are doing now with what they have way down on the south side.
As someone that drives to the south side (south of Ikea from St Albert.). the drive is way easier and as much as 20 min faster than when I drove downtown.

Back