News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Rumor has it that a developer with projects adjacent to and within proximity of the old Bay section is looking to partner with the current owner to develop a tower or two on the old Bay section of the mall (they have an investor on board).
The “investor on board” is the part I like…..not just a pie-in-the-Sky vision…..

I don't have the figures at hand but like the ICE district tower the height for towers is constrained by existing footings and in-place columns and considering that the design pre-dated the closing of the municipal airport, I suspect that we are looking at 30 storeys max.
Not necessarily…

Even using the existing columns and footings, both live loads and dead loads for residential use are less than for office so that probably gets you from 30 to 40 and perhaps more if you convert to a shallower floor plate which also works better for residential.

If you excavate for additional footings and band the existing columns for additional capacity, you could probably go as high as you’re comfortable pre-selling or renting. That’s what they had to do for the Switch at Station Lands.

One Properties…..Darryl Katz…..see the “Citizen” as one of their buildings
One Properties is the rebranding of WAM (Western Asset Management) and its principal owner is Darren Durstling.

Ice District Properties which did the development around Rogers Place and Ford Hall was a joint venture between One Properties and KGRE (Katz Group Real Estate).

Not necessarily…

Even using the existing columns and footings, both live loads and dead loads for residential use are less than for office so that probably gets you from 30 to 40 and perhaps more if you convert to a shallower floor plate which also works better for residential.

If you excavate for additional footings and band the existing columns for additional capacity, you could probably go as high as you’re comfortable pre-selling or renting. That’s what they had to do for the Switch at Station Lands.

While correct on the explanation, I would suspect they will play with the existing intended load as there are plenty of real estates within that mall for future towers.

^bingo. I thought a few years ago now that someone confirmed that foundations were not present for those original proposals?

Rumor has it that a developer with projects adjacent to and within proximity of the old Bay section is looking to partner with the current owner to develop a tower or two on the old Bay section of the mall (they have an investor on board).
Well, THIS is a nice rumor to hear about from someone who I consider reliable on this board.

Let's hope this gets some legs, gains some steam, sees the light of day...any other phrases that can be used, please add on!

Not all of that real estate was designed for future towers of any height and what was may not be where they’re wanted today…
I get that, but, overall, there are still plenty. I wouldn't mine the north parkade across from Stantec developed. If indeed there are two towers for this side, that would be the limit for the east side imo. The density and change factor would elate me. It adds substantially growth optically for me; since becoming part of the Canadian culture in 1979, the three towers above were poignant landmarks that has edge deeply in my head and it has not changed, so this would ecstatically welcomed.

Chinese market in the former Coles space (this week only)

20240131_122925.jpg

20240131_122940.jpg

SoftMoc shoe store has closed down

20240131_123052.jpg

I get that, but, overall, there are still plenty. I wouldn't mine the north parkade across from Stantec developed. If indeed there are two towers for this side, that would be the limit for the east side imo. The density and change factor would elate me. It adds substantially growth optically for me; since becoming part of the Canadian culture in 1979, the three towers above were poignant landmarks that has edge deeply in my head and it has not changed, so this would ecstatically welcomed.
I have a feeling from earlier discussion here that while much unloved, unfortunately the parkade will not be redeveloped soon or first.

But that doesn't mean a tower couldn't happen elsewhere and then a second one later when the point to redevelop the parkade does arrive.

I have a feeling from earlier discussion here that while much unloved, unfortunately the parkade will not be redeveloped soon or first.

But that doesn't mean a tower couldn't happen elsewhere and then a second one later when the point to redevelop the parkade does arrive.
Absolutely it can go in variations. The space kitty core the Encore, for example, could be developed as well as the area fronting 101st. There were numerous discussions pertaining to the aesthetic out look of the parkade since the Stantec project has complete. For me, the focus should be on the area least pleasant which is this. Everything else can come about in later stages imo as they look respectable at present in comparison to the parkade. As to what you believe, that is entirely your right too.

Unless you own the property, what you believe which is also your right to state, probably doesn't count for any more that what I believe. Assuming you do not own it, the owners will do what they feel makes sense for them.

Unless you own the property, what you believe which is also your right to state, probably doesn't count for any more that what I believe. Assuming you do not own it, the owners will do what they feel makes sense for them.
Talk about stating the bleedin obvious. The fact still remains the parking structures along 102 are a total urban disaster . The approach to the Delta hotel looks like a scene from “The Last Of Us”. Unfortunately the parkade still generates revenue whereas the Bay does not so it is quite reasonable to assume they will develop it first.

Back