News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

1718900152298.png

A bit of an oof but what hell happened in 2007-2008? Is that just the effects of the oil boom?

I feel part of this is that as more land in Edmonton is developed for residential and commercial space, more of the land available for large new industrial development is outside of the city.

However, it is good to hear the mayor express concern about the attractiveness of the city to business, but the cynical side of me wonders if the only reason the city really cares is concern about erosion of the tax base.

I feel part of this is that as more land in Edmonton is developed for residential and commercial space, more of the land available for large new industrial development is outside of the city.

However, it is good to hear the mayor express concern about the attractiveness of the city to business, but the cynical side of me wonders if the only reason the city really cares is concern about erosion of the tax base.
That's also a thought I had tbh. There's probably much more residential development compared to industrial in recent years shifting the proportion.

However tax base wise, the whole point of lower density suburbia is that it could be subsidized by commercial/industrial property taxes. If that's changing then increasing residential density to make up for the shortfall can't come soon enough.

Is this something we want? What’s the economic benefit? We know YYC got all giddy with their Amazon Wed Services setting up a big server warehouse in their town….but other than using a shit ton of electricity and a few electricians jobs……

IMG_2041.png

Is this something we want? What’s the economic benefit? We know YYC got all giddy with their Amazon Wed Services setting up a big server warehouse in their town….but other than using a shit ton of electricity and a few electricians jobs……

View attachment 583658
Perhaps this is about making them seem like more of a tech centre and creating a buzz so maybe it will lead to attracting other things.

But still these are good questions to ask - is this something we want and are there economic benefits?

Alberta does have have the abundant hydro power some other provinces have and our power grid seems to be struggling now.

Back