What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
The idea was not to have a lot of permanent greenery so that it could work to host things that need nightlines and clear spaces etc.

I fully expect a bunch of large planters and the like to compliment and enhance.
rockefeller centre has a lot of permanent - and large - greenery and still manages to host things that need sight lines and clear spaces etc.

rockefeller centre has a lot of permanent - and large - greenery and still manages to host things that need sight lines and clear spaces etc.
There are about a dozen trees, red pin oaks and green ash planted already with more to come. They are immature and have no leaves so the impact at this point is minimal.

There are about a dozen trees, red pin oaks and green ash planted already with more to come. They are immature and have no leaves so the impact at this point is minimal.
thanks Glenco! that’s nice to know and i’ll look forward to watching them reach maturity (and yes, i am cranky enough and stubborn enough to do exactly that :) ).

I do wonder how well it will accommodate large crowds, but I think the closed in feeling for the plaza is probably intentional and will help it feel more intimate/festive. With the building to the west now being built, this is more noticeable.

In some ways I think this is better than Churchill Square (dare I say that) as a large, but not too large public space. I imagine in the summer it could be good for outdoor seating for nearby bars/restaurants.

It does have a lot of concrete, but it is designed to accommodate large crowds on a regular basis, so not much room for greenery. Overall I think it will do what it was intended to.
I think that when the temporary barrier between the square and the new building comes down it may feel quite a bit more spacious. There is a surprising amount of space in that gap when viewed from 104th Ave.
C96C659C-E26F-4300-8036-54403A58B725.jpeg
425EFC6F-11D0-4AA6-BCAA-52B37E7C455B.jpeg

thanks Glenco! that’s nice to know and i’ll look forward to watching them reach maturity (and yes, i am cranky enough and stubborn enough to do exactly that :) ).
I pulled this from an article about the plaza:

"So far, the plaza has 14 trees but the plan is to put in six more when the project is completed. The perimeter — from 103 Avenue to 104 Avenue — will have an additional 26 trees. In total, the project will have 46 trees."

Back