What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Chandos is a big player GC, no doubt on that. Pretty sure they did a lot of the work at Ross Shep/Coronation Arena back a few years ago

This is not a Chandos project.

Just realized that stuff sitting on-site is for the Peter Hemingway pool, they do have that job but they've been working on that for awhile.

I cannot wait to see this in person.

Coronation Park Sports and Recreation Centre

Major addition, one that will spur new development and increased density in the area. Which is awesome considering it is inner city.
Agreed. The amount of density (that seems to continue to increase) in Westmount, Inglewood, Glenora, Grovenor and all the other nearby neighbourhoods will greatly benefit from this.

Per the CoE website, sounds like construction should start hopefully late spring?

Project Update - December 2021
Council approved an adjustment of $41 million to the previously approved $112 million for this project to proceed. To prepare for upcoming construction in spring 2022, the City of Edmonton will be removing trees on the project site between February and March 2022.

Agreed. The amount of density (that seems to continue to increase) in Westmount, Inglewood, Glenora, Grovenor and all the other nearby neighbourhoods will greatly benefit from this.

Per the CoE website, sounds like construction should start hopefully late spring?

Project Update - December 2021
Council approved an adjustment of $41 million to the previously approved $112 million for this project to proceed. To prepare for upcoming construction in spring 2022, the City of Edmonton will be removing trees on the project site between February and March 2022.

I believe all councillors supported this and it does require the removal of several mature trees as noted above. I hope when it comes to the Gondola, we don't hear any councillor gripe about a few trees being removed as a grounds for not supporting it.

In regards to this project, we often hear some developers tout their towers as world class and we rightly call them out on it. In this case, this project certainly looks to be world class and a significant amenity for the city.

This is the CoE we're talking about... they'll probably remove them and bring them out to a wood chipper in St Albert

I thought this was a Clark Builders job honestly

My friends works for Clark Builders and I can confirm that Clark Builders was awarded GC for this contract. They are suppose to start right away and the project will take over the 2 1/2 years. This project is definitely one of a kind and "world class"---at least in the world of Triathlon. The velodrome track is coming from Europe and will be essentially be hand built into place by a special sub contractor from Germany.

It was a crap article, but the budget is also just confusing in general for how much it is changing. The 153mil should be the total cost of a new rec centre including existing pool and new velodrome, new running track, new fitness centre, and new daycare.

The $153 mil costs the includes of the total cost of the project including the engineering design, consultation, as well as a new tennis court and the demolition of the existing coronation arena. Even though the costs have inflated since first announced, the budget--at least for the construction of the arena is lean. The city employed a new process where throughout the design, a construction consultant (like PCL, Ellisdo, Clark Builders) was present throughout the design phase. The aim was to guide the designers to make the decisions practical as well as to reduce design constructability errors.

Also, this project is super green--LEED Gold Standard. The entire roof is will be essentially lined with solar cells.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 9.14.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 9.13.53 PM.png

Last edited:
I am really excited about this project. I hope we can leverage this facility into having Edmonton become a cycling/triathlon training center for western Canada with regular winter cycling competitions and triathlons. This facility could really add to the sports tourism industry here in the City.

Back