What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I am most concerned about the podium to be honest.
As am I. But the design itself is lacking in general. That is ALOT of stucco with small punched windows and due to the size of these buildings, everything just feels too big or too small. Time will tell.

Reactions: God
They need to match the balcony glazing/tint with the curtainwall/window wall tint. They didn't do this on Icon and it looks bad. The rendering shown relies on the balcony glass melding with the curtainwall to give the appearance of more glass...if they cheap out on the balcony glass, or just put some stock railing up there without matching it to the building, it will look terrible.

They need to match the balcony glazing/tint with the curtainwall/window wall tint. They didn't do this on Icon and it looks bad. The rendering shown relies on the balcony glass melding with the curtainwall to give the appearance of more glass...if they cheap out on the balcony glass, or just put some stock railing up there without matching it to the building, it will look terrible.
Yeah man, I'm not really a fan of they bay glass in the podium too. It looks to be blacked out and extremely uninviting.

I agree. From the renders on Stantec, and JW Marriott, It looked as though they would match the balcony glass to the curtain wall as well. The fact that they did not was a bit disappointing, and gives the buildings a sort of unfinished look IMHO.

The podium is poorly done. Tinted window, weird finish colours that aren't brick or stone or anything that will not get dated fast. The updated renderings look better, main floor glazing looks to be transparent, but what was most successful on Icons was the small retail bays. I'm hoping that's taken to heart by other developers. It's consistent with what other cities are requiring, and attracts mom and pop shops.

A neat shot thanks to Clarity Development Advisory (with permission).
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.01.58 AM.png

This one is sure progressing slowly thus far.

The podium is poorly done. Tinted window, weird finish colours that aren't brick or stone or anything that will not get dated fast. The updated renderings look better, main floor glazing looks to be transparent, but what was most successful on Icons was the small retail bays. I'm hoping that's taken to heart by other developers. It's consistent with what other cities are requiring, and attracts mom and pop shops.
I generally think this project is a good idea and can boost the area. However, I hope the podium will not be an afterthought. Yes, it is only a small part of the total project, but doing it well adds a lot to how the building interacts with and improves the area.

Not me. I like to put on a blind fold and have someone lead me to the elevator lobby where I then push the highest button so I can get out at the top floor. I then feel my way along the corridor until I come to a door where I politely knock. When (and if) someone answers I then ask if they enjoy the view from up here. I try to avoid the podium at all costs.

^and many podiums have and continue to be poorly conceived or with glazing that is uninviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
^and many podiums have and continue to be poorly conceived or with glazing that is uninviting.
Not to pick on everyone's favourite developer here, but the Quest will forever be the best example of this.

North facing CRUs along 104th coming out of the Ice District, and they keep that dark tinted glass, where if even there is a business open and rolling, it looks dead and entirely uninviting. Subway couldn't even survive in that space!!!

Yes, what is it with that dark tinted glass, especially on the north facing side? Sometimes I think it is jsut cheaping out, but I suspect the bad design choices often cost the same as or perhaps even more as the good ones.

It is just the thought and attention to detail missing. If you can't see in the windows, it is less inviting, including to most possible tenants.

Back