What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Yes, what is it with that dark tinted glass, especially on the north facing side? Sometimes I think it is jsut cheaping out, but I suspect the bad design choices often cost the same as or perhaps even more as the good ones.

It is just the thought and attention to detail missing. If you can't see in the windows, it is less inviting, including to most possible tenants.
There’s some advantages. Privacy, kills less birds, blocks UV, etc.

What it boils down to is differences of opinion in design aesthetics. Dark glass feels trendy and modern on paper, with not much thought put into how uninviting it is when employed.

^It's fairly well known in retail that glass needs to be transparent, and transparent glass increases sales. The designers or developers just lack information.

An informative video with Bob Gibbs, urban retail expert. --

I don't disagree. But it's clearly not well known because developers around the city continue to use tinted glass. I was simply pointing out their thinking on the matter.

I think it is also cultural. Edmonton no longer has a culture of window shopping, professional window displays or pedestrian-oriented signage. There is a pervasive tendency, even on old walkable high streets, to frost glass, use decals or otherwise turn your back to the street as much as possible. It is almost as if businesses don't want people to see what is happening inside.

In places with strong pedestrian-oriented retail it is almost exactly the opposite. Front facing entrances are large, attractive and well lit. Glass is transparent and you can see into shops, which have large window displays to entice people to enter.

I think it is also cultural. Edmonton no longer has a culture of window shopping, professional window displays or pedestrian-oriented signage. There is a pervasive tendency, even on old walkable high streets, to frost glass, use decals or otherwise turn your back to the street as much as possible. It is almost as if businesses don't want people to see what is happening inside.

In places with strong pedestrian-oriented retail it is almost exactly the opposite. Front facing entrances are large, attractive and well lit. Glass is transparent and you can see into shops, which have large window displays to entice people to enter.
I think that's an interesting speculation. I can definitely see tinted glass working in inward facing facilities such as the mall because it DOES look sleek. On a promenade, or in a downtown where visibility is desperately needed to bring life to the community, I think tint is a terrible idea - to the point that the city shouldn't allow it.

In places with strong pedestrian-oriented retail it is almost exactly the opposite. Front facing entrances are large, attractive and well lit. Glass is transparent and you can see into shops, which have large window displays to entice people to enter.`
And yet we have considerably 'strengthened' our urban design guidelines over the last decade or two...

Perhaps enforcement needs a wee look.

Keep the City and their regulations out of this -- there would be many good choices occluded by a "one solution fits all". There are many, many excellent solutions that don't include clear window glass.

Back