What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Keep in mind it is two blocks from a busy strip mall and other shops. Furthermore, I don't think it is quite there yet both in population and true demands. I can see a nice organically move to that path in 15 years as the area keeps building up...

Keep in mind it is two blocks from a busy strip mall and other shops. Furthermore, I don't think it is quite there yet both in population and true demands. I can see a nice organically move to that path in 15 years as the area keeps building up...
Good points, makes sense. Along that note, I was wondering if some of that space could later be converted to retail/commercial if sometime in the future it makes more sense.

University Ave, Garneau, with planning for 76ave, Windsor Park project, a massive one in Kelowna, a separate project in Kelowna, a few in Ottawa among others.

Nice updated webpage! "Ice District tower - 18 storeys?"

I thought the block to the west of this was demo'd? It looks identical to the shelved "Hudson" tower......no surprise. Glad they were able to recycle the design.

Last edited:
Screenshot-2023-03-21-at-12.10.21-PM.png

Nice updated webpage! "Ice District tower - 18 storeys?"

I thought the block to the west of this was demo'd? It looks identical to the shelved "Hudson" tower......no surprise. Glad they were able to recycle the design.
they just cleared the site across the alley from this location, with planning approval sought for a 6-storey, 95-unit woodframe building.
branching further off. I'm thinking Westrich won't be moving on a tower like this for a while, instead focusing on the lower-cost woodframes they have sites for and land banking.
Office gossip from a couple months ago was that they bid on the Misericordia Hospital site the province was selling; the one behind Holy Child School in Grandin. one of our clients saw the plans for it and told one of our designers Westrich had "covered the entire site with 6 stories of wood, as dense as they could get it, with a diagonal gash across the centre as green space". I'm guessing there was some exaggeration happening as to how bad the design was, but the person telling the story was unimpressed lol. This story comes to mind because of all the sites in central Edmonton to put a tower on, the Mis site would be it. wide open, great location, couldn't ask for better access to amenities, etc. As well, given it's size, construction would be relatively unconstrained for staging, excavation, etc. if a site like that only warranted nothing more than a field of 6-storey woodframe, the idea that Westrich will move on a proper tower anywhere anytime soon seems unlikely to me.

they just cleared the site across the alley from this location, with planning approval sought for a 6-storey, 95-unit woodframe building.
branching further off. I'm thinking Westrich won't be moving on a tower like this for a while, instead focusing on the lower-cost woodframes they have sites for and land banking.
Office gossip from a couple months ago was that they bid on the Misericordia Hospital site the province was selling; the one behind Holy Child School in Grandin. one of our clients saw the plans for it and told one of our designers Westrich had "covered the entire site with 6 stories of wood, as dense as they could get it, with a diagonal gash across the centre as green space". I'm guessing there was some exaggeration happening as to how bad the design was, but the person telling the story was unimpressed lol. This story comes to mind because of all the sites in central Edmonton to put a tower on, the Mis site would be it. wide open, great location, couldn't ask for better access to amenities, etc. As well, given it's size, construction would be relatively unconstrained for staging, excavation, etc. if a site like that only warranted nothing more than a field of 6-storey woodframe, the idea that Westrich will move on a proper tower anywhere anytime soon seems unlikely to me.
Did you hear any word on who the successful bidder was on that site?

Also was it the original site of the Misericordia hospital or just mistaken? Been called the Eric Cormack Centre for as long as I've ever known.

Back