This looks building looks aggressively suburban. Ignoring the offensive cladding, the roof design looks like they took 10 single family homes and mashed them together. This reminds me of so many similar condos where I live in SHPK where nearly every high density development tries it's best to blend in with the houses around it. While I don't agree with this kind of development it makes more sense here than Holyrood which is an increasingly urban, inner city neighborhood. It looks out of place and will look even more out of place the longer it occupies this space.

This is a great standard project for a standard area. Doesn't need to blow anyone socks off and adds new development to an old neighbourhood. I think some people need to adjust their expectations. Additionally, with construction and commodity costs skyrocketing - expect projects to become more and more "basic" to make the numbers work.

^^^^ You're right (sarcasm) this project is definitely "good enough for Edmonton". We don't want anyone to have to go barefoot. This lumber "bubble" will burst, so that is not a valid excuse for mediocrity. I'm disappointed -- this Skyrise site should be working to raise standards, not accept slop!

What price point are they going for? If it's for a budget build, shouldn't we expect exteriors that are largely standardized? I don't get what's so offensive about this building, especially considering its surroundings. Interiors are so much more important than exteriors.

What price point are they going for? If it's for a budget build, shouldn't we expect exteriors that are largely standardized? I don't get what's so offensive about this building, especially considering its surroundings. Interiors are so much more important than exteriors.
if that was intended to be one more reason edmonton needs a school of architecture it was successful.

Great Architecture evaluates the constraints along with the surroundings and needs of the future users and maximizes the value of what can be delivered. Value defined as improving life for everyone around the space. This is just cookie cutter, safe, and dare I say lazy effort. There are plenty examples on these forums of buildings in similar neighborhoods that take the opportunity to improve on the neighborhoods where they build.

I love the idea of always doing better, and having innovative design on a budget. I’m not trying to say this is a great job by the developer. I just look at the surrounding buildings, and feel this building is still an improvement for the area, hence my lack of outrage.

I love the idea of always doing better, and having innovative design on a budget. I’m not trying to say this is a great job by the developer. I just look at the surrounding buildings, and feel this building is still an improvement for the area, hence my lack of outrage.

This is what I was saying as well. A higher end exterior would have been required for a different neighborhood, but this is appropriate for Holyrood.

This is what I was saying as well. A higher end exterior would have been required for a different neighborhood, but this is appropriate for Holyrood.
I'll give you guys that this really is only one building in this neighborhood, and that compared to other existing multifamily around this area it will be nice and new.

However
, all that we're trying to do is look at Edmonton as a whole and acknowledge that developers can and should do better with the design of their multifamily projects, at least within the central city. We should promote the projects that are designed with attention and care to the area/niche they are in and criticize what aspects of a project make it mundane and/or don't fit with their context, such as with this suburban-style building in a redeveloping central-ish neighborhood. We can also understand that projects like this sometimes do slip through and accept and learn how to do better.

5CA92282-3FEE-43DC-B42A-AD2E02E20E10.jpeg
2D44DC1B-B9DA-448B-B39B-9203A9F85C92.jpeg

I'm actually liking this one a smidgeon more. I like how they built out to the sidewalk and parking in the back. Poor choices in colours and an already dated design for the large part. Fits right in ;)
I actually don't find it offensive or a blight on the neighborhood (like H. Gardens), so just hoping that the suites are very livable and appreciated.
DSCN7674.JPGDSCN7695.JPGDSCN7679.JPGDSCN7681.JPGDSCN7698.JPG

This one must be opening for tenants soon.
Hopefully, it offers decent apartments and amenities behind the dull exterior. At least the rooftop amenity patio will have a stellar view of Hollrrood Garden's (haha), actually, it's such a nice area and will offer a great park view and a decent downtown view from the deck I would imagine.

DSC_0428 (2).jpg

Back