News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Airport is a little less busy much of fall/winter but tradeoff is inconveniencing people during the cooler weather. Seems like a lot for a major airport to almost totally block off their arrivals and departures roadway for at least half a year but hopefully the end product will be impressive.

If the city was re-doing the Departures bridge deck it would take years. It seems odd to me that they started this so late in the year. How long did they say it would take? Until Nov? Seems a little quick to me. Btw, the new Gate #50 sky bridge is up and running, bright, clean and grey rubber floored. Prefer the carpet look more but this should keep the “clean” look longer.
November 2024. The idea is to try and avoid two holiday seasons. BTW gates 54 and 56 are being upgraded.

What looked like an AC A220 parked at the US departures this morning. Is SFO upgraded? Not sure what else it would be? Charter hauling the Oil out of town?

With the new CEO who has been in place for almost a full calendar year, where is the new route and airline partner growth?

AA continues to add new Canadian routes and frequencies with the omission of YEG
UA is stuck in neutral in YEG only serving DEN
Delta serves YWG, YYC, YVR, YYZ, YUL and still has no presence at YEG

Internationally, while the first year was successful, Condor is sticking with twice a week and as far as I know KLM has no plans to go daily.

Whether you are involved in the business community or not, a very large issue in the broader business community continues to be Edmonton's (lack of) connectivity to the rest of the world, especially the US and eastern US. So it begs the question, are we happy with this or is this more of the same just with a new CEO?

With the new CEO who has been in place for almost a full calendar year, where is the new route and airline partner growth?

AA continues to add new Canadian routes and frequencies with the omission of YEG
UA is stuck in neutral in YEG only serving DEN
Delta serves YWG, YYC, YVR, YYZ, YUL and still has no presence at YEG

Internationally, while the first year was successful, Condor is sticking with twice a week and as far as I know KLM has no plans to go daily.

Whether you are involved in the business community or not, a very large issue in the broader business community continues to be Edmonton's (lack of) connectivity to the rest of the world, especially the US and eastern US. So it begs the question, are we happy with this or is this more of the same just with a new CEO?
It's a good question but don't overlook the new WestJet Minneapolis and Seattle service plus larger aircraft from both overseas carriers...

It generally seems to be a challenge for Edmonton to be noticed and being further from the border than most other cities in Canada does not help.

We need to be more assertive in general and in particular our business leaders who fly regularly have to be/continue to be outspoken about improved/additional service.

YEG needs higher yield flyers and more business travellers, period.
This is basically the answer. The CEO of YEG can make as much noise as he wants, but if there isn't enough profit on direct routes they aren't going to happen. Frankly, I think at this point it would be better to invest in some high quality market research to demonstrate the case for certain city pairings . We also need to get real about what is possible and what is just fanciful dreaming.

This is basically the answer. The CEO of YEG can make as much noise as he wants, but if there isn't enough profit on direct routes they aren't going to happen. Frankly, I think at this point it would be better to invest in some high quality market research to demonstrate the case for certain city pairings . We also need to get real about what is possible and what is just fanciful dreaming.
Your third sentence is a big part of the answer. The part about profit, in my view, is partially true. Indeed a profit of some kind is key but making that case is where some of the selling comes in, like anything, the business case isn't always popping out of the page but YEG puts together some numbers paired with telling a story and does that leg work for airlines that's how you win. Realities are different but there was a time when long standing routes to the states or internationally existed, explain why they should again and be better than some alternatives. Not easy but also not a lost cause because of being "remote" or "less J class flyers".

It comes down to advocacy, standing up for ourselves and making ourselves noticed, unfortunately something Edmontonians, including the leaders of business community are not the best at.

Does anyone know when WestJet will be releasing their full Summer schedule, and also where that information will be located?

Back