News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Cause WJ is giving away fire-sale (loss leader) seats to Europe and Tokyo. I would surmise they make a boatload of cash to having YEG'ers and other fellow Prairie living folk fill up their feeder Q400's to YYC. No way that many YYC's fly to Europe and other ports of call on their 787's without us.
Not just Edmonton passengers. Calgary YYC had 86,000+ US (United States) 🇺🇸 connecting passengers in Summer 2023 to international destinations from YYC. It helps fill the WestJet 787 planes ✈️ https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6954757

Last edited:
Are there that many people driving to Calgary OR is it the economy?

Lots. There’s more cars 🚗/vehicles heading South compared to North on Alberta Highway 2 it seems like everyday & 7 days a week✅.

Although in mid April 2024 I did a Western Canada 🇨🇦 few days trip by bus 🚌 & travelled on Rider Express from Edmonton Southgate- Calgary Westbrook YYC- & connected onto the night time 10:30pm Calgary bus - Vancouver YVR -which arrived at around 11am at Vancouver in front of Pacific Central Station. And I avoided flying ✈️ , which I know I had option to fly direct. But I decided to go by bus and will use this again (eventually) at some point.
IMG_7276.jpeg
IMG_7297.jpeg

IMG_7298.jpeg

Calgary Westbrook YYC- Vancouver YVR on Rider Express bus started out with about 10+ passengers & (between Kamploops - Vancouver) is when the bus got more passengers boarding.
IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7316.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember my first trip on them, no washroom!!!

They've really upped their fleet with new/used equipment, and expanded east.

Also, we now have flixbus joining them and Canada Bus and Hot shot on the Calgary/Edmonton run.

Kinda miss the frequent Red Arrow departures though...

It needs new decking the old one was leaking and generally degrading. It is quite involved. It has to be sealed insulated and new reinforced concrete poured on top. Of course they had to remove all of the old stuff first. Also the south exit ramp was degrading rapidly and had to be completely removed and a new improved one constructed

Ok, well that makes sense, so basically tear down the old one, build a new one. Any idea if there were any changes or upgrades to the new structure?

How about instead of matching Calgary's $35 AIF, set Edmonton's lower resulting in lower air fares?
Or how about we privatize our airports so we stop paying rent to the feds who give us next to nothing in return in the way of airport development and in turn enact legislation that actually hampers it.

It does when that flight is a few hundred dollars cheaper per person.

Which is what i hear people do, personally I just pay for what we have.
I also suspect people are much more weary about missing flight connections as of late. Even if YEG->YYC is usually as safe of a bet for connecting flights as possible, all it takes is some delays and suddenly you're not boarding your international flight out of YYC.

RE: airport fees & paying rent to fund the Feds, I don't know if the solution is scrapping airport fees or rent paid to the feds altogether. Not really a fan of subsidizing businesses that require air travel regularly or those privileged enough to fly regularly for leisure.

Possibly a tax credit for private individuals available to $X spent on airfare would make more sense to help alleviate costs on consumers? Especially if it was on domestic travel... sometimes the unbelievable cost of domestic travel in this nation really hampers unity. I would love to see the Maritimes of Canada, but it's hard justifying when it's more expensive than flying to Europe.

Back