News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I too am curious what 100 million gets them? I assume it is road infrastructure, expanded apron space, utilities, and maybe a few other pieces of infrastructure. What else would be involved? Is this located near the existing newer cargo facilities or is this across the runway?

I would try a Google Image search for "global cargo handling operation" to get a clearer idea of what this entails.

No confusion given last years February 24 announcement for an expansion and funding of $36m for "specifically, the cargo expansion project will include:
  • Expansion of the primary cargo apron area by 47,000 square metres, enough for two more widebody cargo planes or five in total at the same time. That’s equal to five-and-a-half CFL football fields in expansion. A new connection from the runway to the apron will also be constructed.
  • A new hydrant system that will tie into the two, two-million litre Shell Aviation Fuel tanks. This means faster and more efficient refueling and less trucks on the apron to increase safety.
  • Expansion of the cold storage cargo capacity by 1,400 square metres. This will increase EIA’s cold storage area to nearly 2,000 square metres total. " https://flyeia.com/corporate/media/news/cargo-expansion-brings-big-benefits-for-region/
And now another cargo project is announced a year later "The project will convert approximately 2,000 acres of land into a new global cargo handling operation." However there is no explanation where the other $200 million is coming from.

Typical government funding announcement. They announce the money now to get the project started, then they'll try to do a bigger splash closer to the next election with the details. Call my cynical

I’m GUESSING it is the west side of the runway now that the new intersection is under construction which will allow access.
36AD9984-A336-4070-A510-801CB9F23707.png

Good to know and maybe take advantage of before they discontinue these markets.

With Westjet planning to leave the eastern cities I am guessing they will probably move Swoop (based out of Calgary) to be based out in the east which leaves Flair (based out of Edmonton) and the new Lynx Air to be the low cost carriers in western Canada

With Westjet planning to leave the eastern cities I am guessing they will probably move Swoop (based out of Calgary) to be based out in the east which leaves Flair (based out of Edmonton) and the new Lynx Air to be the low cost carriers in western Canada
Interesting idea, Swoop already has a large base in Toronto I believe. Edmonton is a large base for Swoop, but the HQ are still in Calgary (even though they do not operate a single flight out of Calgary).

WestJet owner ONEX Partners is preparing for the fight coming to it by directing WestJet to downsize now - dropping under performing routes and routes that it knows it can't compete on price with new entrants, sell off or lease out some assets, consolidate operations at its fortress in Calgary and try to position it and Swoop to compete against Flair, Lynx, Canada Jetlines, Porter and possibly a reformatted Air Transat. My guess is ONEX is going to try to sell WestJet as the golden goose is dead. Air Canada is just going to hang in, watching the how travellers respond and is in a good position to hold its market share - particularly in YYZ, YUL, YVR.

Condor in Northern summer 2023 season is launching new service to Canada, with the offering of Frankfurt – Edmonton route. Previously scheduled to launch in 2020 (between 01JUN20 and 10SEP20) but postponed due to pandemic, the airline will now be operating from 26MAY23, twice weekly with 767-300ER aircraft. This route is scheduled on seasonal basis until 01SEP23.

Air Transat previously operated this route between June and September 2010.

DE2468 FRA1100 – 1245YEG 76W 5
DE2468 FRA1345 – 1530YEG 76W 2

DE2469 YEG1435 – 0800+1FRA 76W 5
DE2469 YEG1720 – 1045+1FRA 76W 2

I’m GUESSING it is the west side of the runway now that the new intersection is under construction which will allow access.
View attachment 415151
When I flew in last Thursday I noticed quite a bit of ground work going on to the south near 12 and 02 end

Condor in Northern summer 2023 season is launching new service to Canada, with the offering of Frankfurt – Edmonton route. Previously scheduled to launch in 2020 (between 01JUN20 and 10SEP20) but postponed due to pandemic, the airline will now be operating from 26MAY23, twice weekly with 767-300ER aircraft. This route is scheduled on seasonal basis until 01SEP23.

Air Transat previously operated this route between June and September 2010.

DE2468 FRA1100 – 1245YEG 76W 5
DE2468 FRA1345 – 1530YEG 76W 2

DE2469 YEG1435 – 0800+1FRA 76W 5
DE2469 YEG1720 – 1045+1FRA 76W 2

Excellent!!

Back