News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will Flair push back against increased WS service at YEG? A scream of desperation, perhaps?
With Swoop gone from most of Flair's routes, they must be happy. Assuming WestJet prices their new YEG routes similar to how they price their other routes, yields will significantly increase for Flair. Flair's current offering for summer 2023 is already bigger than last year, but I could see Flair expanding further this summer at YEG.

1st ever Airbus A350 plane ✈️ landed at Edmonton YEG, as Delta Airlines flight 159 from Detroit DTW, US🇺🇸 to Seoul ICN, South Korea 🇰🇷 made due to a “emergency”.

Photos of the A350 plane 👇👇👇 at YEG Airport Spotters Facebook group page.

Last edited:
With Swoop gone from most of Flair's routes, they must be happy. Assuming WestJet prices their new YEG routes similar to how they price their other routes, yields will significantly increase for Flair.
WestJet returning to YEG and reclaiming market share from Flair will significantly increase yields for Flair? That's what you're saying?

WestJet returning to YEG and reclaiming market share from Flair will significantly increase yields for Flair? That's what you're saying?
I take that more to mean less ulcc competition from swoop to compete with and more competing with Westjet will allow Flair to charge a bit more to improve yields while maintaining its price advantage.

Numbers up to June have been released. Flair (and Swoop) continue to struggle. Here is June:

United Denver 93%
WestJet Los Angeles 87%
WestJet Las Vegas 86%
Air Canada San Francisco 78%
Alaska Seattle 75%
Swoop Las Vegas 62%
Flair San Francisco 49%
Swoop San Diego 47% (discontinued)
Swoop Mesa 45%
Flair Las Vegas 43%
Flair Burbank 36% (discontinued)
Flair Nashville 28%
Imagine being an airport authority in the US if Swoop ever “pretends” to be an airline again. “Uh-oh, it’s that fake airline Swoop calling again, you know- the spin-off of that Toronto HQ’d airline WestJet. They’re asking if they can fly to our airport again. Sssshhhhh! Darryl, put down the phone or accidentally hang up again. We don’t want them wasting our time over and over again.”

So I flew in last night and noticed a large Delta Widebody A350-900 sitting at gate 80, which I found very strange!

Did some digging today... and its departing this afternoon for Seoul. Anyone have any details? I'm assuming it landing here because of some mechanical issues, but usually these flights will go to Calgary before Edmonton (especially since delta/westjet have a strong presence). Strange!

1674503192305.png

I figured it out! Delta was flying Detroit to Seoul and was flying over the northern portion of Saskatchewan before it was diverted to Edmonton yesterday around 2:45pm. Still unclear why it was diverted for 24 hours.... assuming it was mechanical issues since medical issues will see a very quick diversion to drop off a passenger.

Case closed!

I figured it out! Delta was flying Detroit to Seoul and was flying over the northern portion of Saskatchewan before it was diverted to Edmonton yesterday around 2:45pm. Still unclear why it was diverted for 24 hours.... assuming it was mechanical issues since medical issues will see a very quick diversion to drop off a passenger.

Case closed!
It was actually a medical emergency. The crew would have timed out of their hours so they couldn't carry back on yesterday.

So I flew in last night and noticed a large Delta Widebody A350-900 sitting at gate 80, which I found very strange!

Did some digging today... and its departing this afternoon for Seoul. Anyone have any details? I'm assuming it landing here because of some mechanical issues, but usually these flights will go to Calgary before Edmonton (especially since delta/westjet have a strong presence). Strange!

View attachment 452026

The Delta A350 actually departed Edmonton YEG on Monday January 23 at 6:37pm to do the rest of Seoul ICN nonstop flight from DTW that diverted 1 day ago, as DL 9887 flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...210Z/CYEG/RKSI

If WestJet exited a market and AC added additional seats to compensate (exactly what's happening in S23 with YYZ-YYT and others) is it a "scream of desperation" or the same thing every airline on the planet would do?

I'm guessing YYC-NRT is also a scream of desperation since AC previously served it? The advanced bookings are pretty astronomically through the roof for a scream of desperation, it has to be said...
Still is a scream of desperation - reading over on SSP that WJ expects WJ'ers to fly to Narita via Kelowna and YYC before heading there - 2 stops, OR? Or YVR'ers can fly direct to Narita with ZERO stops on AC. Hmmm, are you sure bookings are astronomically high? lol

Swoop isn't fooling around! Looks like after April - Abbotsford and Hamilton are the only destinations out of YEG after April / May.

Yep & Swoop Airlines ✈️will have more of a presence in Eastern Canada 🇨🇦 this Spring/Summer 2023 . Probably will remain that way moving forward likely.

While WestJet will have larger presence in Western Canada again, starting around the same time.

Back