News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I suspect that YEG has some pretty archaic technology down in its baggage bowels. I can fly to major global hub airports like SFO or NRT and my bag is usually coming down the belt when I get there, despite these airports processing massively more baggage from massively larger planes.

I wonder what is happening with the new baggage system. EIA would be wise to share with the public more insight on this and other projects.

June passenger numbers are out. The long Oilers playoff run certainly didn't hurt things but transborder growth really carrying water for the other sectors.

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 628,758 passengers (Year-to-date 3,331,217 passengers) 2.5% (Year-to-date 1.5%)
  • Domestic 537,490 passengers (Year-to-date 2,555,866 passengers) -0.5% (Year-to-date -2.6%)
  • Transborder 75,439 passengers (Year-to-date 451,293 passengers) 45.8% (Year-to-date 19.1%)
  • International 15,829 passengers (Year-to-date 324,058 passengers) -25.7% (Year-to-date 15.9%)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

• 52,466 passengers (Year-to-date 318,936 passengers) 10.6% (Year-to-date 11.3%)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

• 681,224 passengers (Year-to-date 3,650,153 passengers) 3.1% (Year-to-date 2.3%)

A small thing. Looking at this exit, I wonder if adding YEG to the sign would help with the branding of the Edmonton International Airport.
IMG_1475.jpeg

Maybe, but I do not recall that nomenclature on highway signs. Most people don't really need the name and are just looking for (if at all these days due to GPS reliance) AIRPORT and maybe that 707/747 icon.

Maybe, but I do not recall that nomenclature on highway signs. Most people don't really need the name and are just looking for (if at all these days due to GPS reliance) AIRPORT and maybe that 707/747 icon.
I'd have to agree, how many people know of YEG, YYC, YVR except for some fliers, the general public, not so much

I'd have to agree, how many people know of YEG, YYC, YVR except for some fliers, the general public, not so much
Yes. I realize Edmonton International Airport is a bit long. Probably this can be generally shortened to Edmonton Airport now that the old one downtown has been closed quite a while and there is no scheduled service to other airports here.

But even most travelers are focused on where they are going, ie. city, not the airport. The airport identifiers are kind of for a niche crowd.

International, National, Regional, Local Commercial, and local are variations of the name and reflective of the services/class of the airport and as important as the name itself.

I'm not suggesting any official or formal name change, I am just pointing out a shorter way to refer to it probably more informally.

Yes, the services are important, but we don't call it the Edmonton International, National and Regional airport either. I think passengers know where they are going particularly in cities that only have one major airport.

I would love to see a name like the 'Wop May Edmonton International Airport' or something. But some like it beiger than beige. 'Edmonton International Airport' it will be for a long time....zzzzz.......

Back