What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I pray that they get on this and that we don't have another Emerald site 🙏

It certainly looks strange without those buildings there

20201101_094406.jpg

I would rather call it "the West Village"; uptown has more of a north-south sensibility. Then we could call downtown "Centretown" leaving room for the Quarters to become "the East Village" Who wants another lollipop competition?

I would agree Architected. People assume downtown, mid or up-town are New York City when it is not true. That only apply to Manhattan part of NYC as Manhattan just happened to be NYC's CBD and world financial district.

It's geographical layout has the very CBD paradigm right at it's south pole then up to mid-town to uptown afterwards.

The names East and West Village are already taken... and in this context I believe that the word uptown simply means the other (dense) bookend of a downtown core, no matter what direction. I do like your "WesJas" idea though @archited ;)

Good to know @Platinum107... so how are things Down North where you live; Up South where I am things are a little tense because today is national election day and everyone is "afeared" that the orange marauder just might squeak through one more time (he is a master at misnaming things that in other worlds seem rather obvious).

Upper Canada and lower Canada based on river. Uptown/midtown/downtown also based on a river in NY... So our uptown would be upstream AND the proper usage. But I HATE trying to just copy awful American cities. Why not change the name from Oliver to something simple like River West or Centre West. Either name could also function well as a colloquial reference to the area.

Oh, and hi! ...first post lol.

I agree with @Platinum107 in that Uptown simply means the other dense bookend in the core and works perfectly well in Edmonton's situation.

The 'downtown' and 'uptown' naming all started in Manhattan and while it is true there that it is North and South, the CBD of practically all cities (in North America at least) are called downtown. This name downtown then no longer means what it means in Manhattan, just like uptown doesn't have to be related to a direction on a map.

With all that being said, though I do like the idea of Edmonton having an 'uptown' and 'downtown' the usual naming I go for when discussing Edmonton's dense Jasper strip is (from West to East) West Oliver - Oliver - Downtown - Quarters. West Oliver being the uptown that is discussed.

Welcome to the melange @Mattyeg! Valid points all and I really do like the "River" name since the NSRV plays such a huge and prominent role in the lay of the land (and water) in Edmonton. On a "hmmm... I wonder" note is it possible that Upper Canada had some ethnic connotations as the dominant area of British Presence versus Lower Canada (Mon Dieu and Sacre Bleu); and on the new York reference there are two "rivers", one east and one west of Manhattan, but I think the reference actually applies to the north/south orientation of the Manhattan borough (although I do concede that the point is debatable). The East River bordering Manhattan (though not really a river) changes direction of flow daily depending on the ocean tides.

Back