What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
If it already hasn't done so, the City should work to get some assurances from the Federal Government that the office won't be moving out of town in the future as a result of the takeover.

Last edited:
So sad for Edmonton long term… anyone hear anything about what will happen with the lease they signed in manulife?
I interviewed with one of the Assistant VPs at CWB about a month ago and he said it was a "done deal" and going ahead "no matter what happens". He sounded 100% confident (and should know) although I've sounded 100% confident in business dealings right up until I wasn't before so take that for what you will.

I understand the trepidation. While it would be nice to see a boost to the Manulife Building which has languished over the last few years, it would not be terrible either if they stayed in their current building, which has been very nicely fixed up recently.

I suspect the move will go ahead, as it has been planned for and agreed to, and both banks could use the additional space to help grow their business in the west, which I feel is the intention of both.

I understand the trepidation. While it would be nice to see a boost to the Manulife Building which has languished over the last few years, it would not be terrible either if they stayed in their current building, which has been very nicely fixed up recently.

I suspect the move will go ahead, as it has been planned for and agreed to, and both banks could use the additional space to help grow their business in the west, which I feel is the intention of both.
An acquisition also doesn't imply that all of the current employees will be instantly vaporized. I think that CWB will get many more years out of the current building.

Agreed about the Manulife building though, retail attraction into downtown is a challenge.

One step closer...

The future of the remnants of CWB Edmonton operations is unknown. Shareholders of CWB got their ask and some may invest in NB or simply exit. Only after getting Federal approval will we hear from NB about what aspects of the NB business will be remain in Edmonton if any. I think redevelopment of space in Manulife will occur slowly with a final lease only signed when there is clarity on the Edmonton operations.

Back