This is going to be a long and impassioned post, but words can’t describe how pissed I am about this, and this quote in particular:

"Pablo Orozco, general supervisor of mobility with the city, said these enhancements are about ensuring residents have opportunities to move about the city in a variety of different ways that are safe and accessible. The targeted locations were also selected in alignment with the City Plan’s goal to create 15-minute districts across the city. Council will have the opportunity to allocate funding to these projects during the fall budget discussions."

I’ll be frank; Orozco and the City are out to lunch if they believe this. There’s no way they’ll be able to “create 15-minute districts” in Northwest Edmonton without the Metro. Why? It’s unequivocally Edmonton’s worst-served quadrant and a veritable transit dead-zone. How do I know? Twenty-some years lived in Wellington, one of the area’s sleepy early ’60s communities. I’d say I had NO “opportunities to move about the city in a variety of different ways that are safe and accessible” during the two-plus decades I was there, and I don’t think their proposed changes will do anything to help.

For better-or-for-worse, the City and ETS treat 97th Street as the division between Northwest and Northeast. It serves as the converging point between various bus routes, and since it runs north-south through Edmonton’s geographical middle, it acts like a funnel for downtown buses and commuters. And that’d be fine, BUT it leaves Northwest Edmonton in an untenable position. Unlike the Northeast, which has 97th, Fort Road, and the Capital Line to rely on getting transit riders towards downtown and beyond, the Northwest has ONLY 97th. That’s fine if you live in one of the communities between 97th and 113A Street. If you live anywhere west of 113A though? Nothing short of torture, as you’re forced to travel forty blocks eastward to head downtown.

What do I mean? Say you want to get somewhere like 124th Street. You’ll be forced to divert east to 97th, to head south to the city centre, to head back west again to get to your destination. Counting route transfers, it could take over an hour, versus some ten-to-fifteen minutes by car. For whatever reason — be it pure ignorance or sheer ineptitude — ETS refuses to use the 127th Street/Kingsway corridor, sans the 104X, a morning-only commuter route.

So what’s my point? There’s some real crappy transit — undoubtedly some of the city’s worst — in Northwest Edmonton, and the completion of the Metro would be a boon to the area’s livability. An accessible, rapid transit line running right through the middle of the Northwest quadrant, means you’d never be more than twenty blocks away, east or west from a reliable route. If it was completed, I could totally see the idea of fifteen minute districts becoming a possibility there, as could their stated goal of creating “opportunities to move about the city in a variety of different ways that are safe and accessible.”

As one of my buddies said, the continued southward expansion of the Capital is only subsidizing suburban growth. For all the City’s platitudes of wanting to “build up, not out,” they seem to be rewarding those in the suburbs with better transit access than those in our Mature Area Overlay. And don’t misconstrue that — I’m by no means saying that southsiders shouldn’t have access to good transit — but the argument that says “since there’s growth there, it should be prioritized” is nothing short of a fallacy. Yes it’s growing, and yes there’ll be a hospital. But pinning hopes on where people MAY be in the future versus where people ARE in the present actively goes against the City’s mission for densification and urbanization by perpetuating a cycle of continued southern expansion. And all that’s without mentioning the weird double-standard some people have about the Metro — often deriding it as “St. Albert expansion” or “St. Albert’s line,” as if it’s a purely suburban-serving route, whereas something like Capital South isn’t.

To cut a rant short: Metro was needed twenty years ago. Putting it off for fifteen more is just another indictment of Edmonton’s love-affair with the suburbs and its two-faced approach to city-building by actively punishing those who dare live in an older area without a car.

It seems to be a very lopsided approach by the City. I have to wonder where most of the people who plan the city's LRT expansion live. I suppose out of sight, out of mind for them.

In some ways this failed approach to the Metro line reminds me of how the city initially approached expanding LRT south from downtown. For a long time, it was stuck too.

Our city planners sure seem to love less than optimal stub lines, for whatever reasons. Then they wonder why people don't use them as much as they hope.

I left a voicemail with Councillor Rutherford voicing my strong support of an extension to Castle Downs. I encourage others to do the same; reach out to her office by phone or email since this extension would take place in her ward.

It is a bit odd to prioritize future residents in the south over current residents of the NW. I wonder if the south has more trip generators that will result in higher overall usage? Hopefully the city figures out how to both financially because it could be decades of waiting otherwise.

Very confusing. A decision like this does nothing but reinforce the southside bias. Sure the northwest isn't growing at a incredible rate (partly because St. Albert is in the way). But it has a lot of mature neighborhoods that would have been well served by this extension. If the goal is infill and density maybe throw the residents of northwest a transit bone.

The one upside is the lrt gets that much closer to the airport but I never wanted to see that at the expense of transit service in mature areas.

The business case for an expansion south is strong.

NW has been waiting forever for LRT.

The solution is to build both extensions!

Especially with the oodles of cash available from the federal government; let's get on it.

I agree - why not build BOTH at the same time?
Both lines are high floor.
Both lines will involve a major bridge crossing - Capital line has a bridge that will cross the Henday, Metro line has a bridge that will cross the Yellowhead and CN Rail.
The Capital line has the new hospital, while the Metro has NW residents and businesses.
Ultimately the Capital line will reach EIA while the Metro could expand further into St. Alberta.
This should not be an either/or situation. Build both.

I agree - why not build BOTH at the same time?
Both lines are high floor.
Both lines will involve a major bridge crossing - Capital line has a bridge that will cross the Henday, Metro line has a bridge that will cross the Yellowhead and CN Rail.
The Capital line has the new hospital, while the Metro has NW residents and businesses.
Ultimately the Capital line will reach EIA while the Metro could expand further into St. Alberta.
This should not be an either/or situation. Build both.
I think we are all in favor of building both as soon as possible. It's just that we're worried that at some point we'll start having trouble finding funding and then one of the lines will be postponed for another decade.

On the other hand, the Metro line can wait until the Yellowhead Freeway Conversion project is completed before the end of this decade, the last part of which involves a realignment of the Yellowhead between 121 St and 107 St. I would rather that the new LRT bridge is built after this realignment.

Reading through St Albert's plan for the LRT, a two things are very clear:

1 ) It does interest them to connect with Edmonton via rail. Mostly, because it will lower their long-term maintenance cost for transportation infrastructure AND because it has the potential to make the city even more attractive for newcomers and migrants (it is delineated in their study), increasing tax base and fomenting developments in the area.

2) They have the cash flow to fund their 5 or 6 stops side of the line, connecting to Edmonton's Metro Line. St. Alberta has the financial firepower equivalent of a city 3x larger. Their plan is to start construction when Edmonton starts the last leg of the Metro Line expansion, so that they'll finish it 1-2 years after the LRT gets done.

Honestly, I believe this new position of prioritizing the south expansion is stupid and, considering St Albert's disposition to extend the line into their boundaries, looking NW is a much safer bet and would yield much more benefits in both the short and long terms.

Back