News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

THE GLOBE! The old house where Mayfair on Jasper now stands. This place and Ezzie's is where my nightlife started at the age of 17 using my brother's ID 🤣 He'd used to come in like half hour after me and I'd hand him his ID through the smoke pit lol good times. Only once it didn't work because the bouncer knew my brother.... still let me in lol.

I remember The Bank going from 25 and up + dress code, to 21 and up, to 18, to pretty sure they closed down from being caught letting in too many minors. It was fun at the start when Mikey Wong was djing there.
Globe had good wings on, I want to say Tuesday. We used to go a lot.

I remember going to Flash from time to time in the very late 80's. It was probably a bit past its peak then, but it was still great - the music was excellent and it was a good crowd.

I recall there was much anticipation when it moved to its new location on 105 St after and a lot of work was put into making it nice, but the atmosphere was really just not the same as the previous more run down warehouse.

Whatever it was could not be recreated. I guess every successful or great place has it moment or so in time.

And oh, that misses the best club of all -- the Stage Door in the Westin downtown by the Library. in the 70s.
-- that was then
and this is now
some 40 odd years later.

Last edited:
I remember going to Flash from time to time in the very late 80's. It was probably a bit past its peak then, but it was still great - the music was excellent and it was a good crowd.

I recall there was much anticipation when it moved to its new location on 105 St after and a lot of work was put into making it nice, but the atmosphere was really just not the same as the previous more run down warehouse.

Whatever it was could not be recreated. I guess every successful or great place has it moment or so in time.
Same thing happened with Sidetrack.

What was the name of that nightclub in the SE corner of Jasper Ave and 101 Street that was owned/operated by Peter Pocklington's son?
The Vault! We went a few times and then decided we didn't want to get shot and could not afford to 'party' like the rest were.

THE GLOBE! The old house where Mayfair on Jasper now stands. This place and Ezzie's is where my nightlife started at the age of 17 using my brother's ID 🤣 He'd used to come in like half hour after me and I'd hand him his ID through the smoke pit lol good times. Only once it didn't work because the bouncer knew my brother.... still let me in lol.

I remember The Bank going from 25 and up + dress code, to 21 and up, to 18, to pretty sure they closed down from being caught letting in too many minors. It was fun at the start when Mikey Wong was djing there.

When it had heat and clean beer lines, it was fun. It had 100 flavours of beer and wings if I recall?

Mikey Wong! WOW

@Platinum107

No idea what it's like on Whyte, haven't partied on the strip in years.

Chvrch of John was my go to while I was living DT edmonton. I heard its gotten stupid busy now though and does the bottle service thing now too so I don't know.

Have you been to Baiju? It's quite the hotspot now especially in the summer with the big patio they opened up. Bower is also a staple downtown but I don't know where you can get the 'large nightclub' vibe. Maybe check out Reign on Jasper in Oliver, haven't been but looks like it may be good.

Other than that, I'm quite out of the loop with clubs myself.

@Platinum107

I don't go to nightclubs anymore except for the occasional jaunt to On The Rocks since that's a good place for geezers such as myself!

If you want to go to a nightclub in the downtown area, there are these choices:
Illusion on Jasper Ave and 109 St
Reign on Jasper Ave and 115 St
Clandestine on 114 St north of Jasper Ave

80s club Scandals at the Sheraton Caravan. Def Lepard. I believe Played there. Update. HoJos and it was Motley Cru

There was also a club in what is now the Coast hotel Downtown.Sheraton Caravan had one at the Top that was call ed the Penthouse.

Last edited:
Also there was a nightclub in the basement of what is now Ellis Lofts called 'Mystique'. We'd go there after New City Suburbs when they were on 112 St.

What was the club on 106st in the basement of the hotel south of Jasper?

Did anyone go or know of anyone who went to the Caravan Nightclub (top of the current Holiday Inn)?

Red’s before it was Ed’s had so many amazing concerts. It was such a shitty layout for a live music venue but so many great artists rolled through there before they were big. I saw Muse there in October 2004 and it wasn’t even half full—incredible.

Back