What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
The Strath can no longer be considered an hotel. I could see the Whyte Avenue terminus of the gondola having an hotel as a component of a mixed use development that includes the station. In fact the people-draw of the ERR end-of-line combined with the Gondola makes the site particularly suited to a hotel development, not to mention the popularity of Old Strathcona in general. Architecturally, a post-modern interpretation of some of Edmonton's "lost" hotel buildings would be grand.

Had a long chat with the lovely and engaging Claire MacDonald with Praire Sky Gondola today. I had lots of questions about hours of operation (same as ETS), frequency (every 2 minutes), maintenance of cars and cables, payments (want to use Arc along with ETS), how the gondola will affect Rossdale redevelopment and Ortona redevelopment (both are looking forward to it), what happens if there's a baseball game at RE/MAX Field (Riverhawks welcome it), and making sure cyclists and pedestrians along the bike paths are not affected (lots of clearance).

Last edited:
Had a long chat with the lovely and engaging Claire MacDonald with Praire Sky Gondola today. I had lots of questions about hours of operation (same as ETS), frequency (every 2 minutes), maintenance of cars and cables, payments (want to use Arc along with ETS), how the gondola will affect Rossdale redevelopment and Ortona redevelopment (both are looking forward to it), what happens if there's a baseball game at RE/MAX Field (Riverhawks welcome it), and making sure cyclists and pedestrians along the bike paths are not affected (lots of clearance).
Thanks so much for the compliment, so glad you had a chance to meet Claire. We also had a UofA Urban Planning student and a recent graduate and we were swept off our feet. Thank you for all the questions and support. It was also such a fabulous feeling to see Downtown hopping with excitement. Small correction: We had mentioned that the cabins come every 2 minutes, and what we meant is every 20 seconds. Our apologies for the incorrect information.

PSG_AlFresco_03.jpg

Coun Janz hosting a townhall on June 29 specifically on the Gondola. You have to sign up to be sent the link to attend.

"Join Edmonton City Councillor Michael Janz for a special Town Hall on the proposed Prairie Sky Gondola. Share your feedback and have your questions answered. Special guests will be invited, however the project owners (Prairie Sky Gondola) have declined to participate.

Prior to the vote on August 10th, what are your hopes, fears, or concerns for this project? How much will it cost to ride? What are the emergency management plans? Why should one private business deserve air rights across the river valley? What will be the costs? What can we do to protect our river valley and our public purse from risky, expensive projects? Is it too late to stop this?"

Last edited:
Coun Janz hosting a townhall on June 29 specifically on the Gondola. You have to sign up to be sent the link to attend.

"Join Edmonton City Councillor Michael Janz for a special Town Hall on the proposed Prairie Sky Gondola. Share your feedback and have your questions answered. Special guests will be invited, however the project owners (Prairie Sky Gondola) have declined to participate.

Prior to the vote on August 10th, what are your hopes, fears, or concerns for this project? How much will it cost to ride? What are the emergency management plans? Why should one private business deserve air rights across the river valley? What will be the costs? What can we do to protect our river valley and our public purse from risky, expensive projects? Is it too late to stop this?"

The general attitude towards progress in this town never changes and it makes me sick. " What can we do to protect our river valley and our public purse from risky expensive projects? Is it too late to stop this?" . Talk about being dramatic and misleading. Project is privately funded and PSG have been transparent about the whole thing. My only hope for this city is that the up and coming generation will have a progressive attitude than the previous four. I saw the same resistance as I did back in the early 80s. :mad:

While he is masking this with a thin veil of 'town hall', the language certainly indicates bias and an attempt to impart his opinion (as a Councillor) in advance of further information and objective debate.

Careful of that line there M.J.

Last edited:

Back