News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Will the same traffic disruptions negatively impact the downtown apartment rental market as well?
Hard to say, but if I had to guess I would say rental demand would decrease. With High Level bridge closed, U of A students wouldn't see downtown as a particularly viable housing location.

Even harder to say if the Strathcona-adjacent neighbourhoods have the capacity to handle the increased demand that might be generated from a downtown artery clog.

Hard to say, but if I had to guess I would say rental demand would decrease. With High Level bridge closed, U of A students wouldn't see downtown as a particularly viable housing location.

Even harder to say if the Strathcona-adjacent neighbourhoods have the capacity to handle the increased demand that might be generated from a downtown artery clog.
You can actually take the LRT from downtown to the U of A and that has been the case for decades. I suspect many students living downtown do that already.

And several new rental buildings downtown are very close to LRT entrances, so I don't think closing the High Level bridge would effect them much.

Actually, it would seem to me that making it harder to drive to downtown might actually encourage some people who work there to live closer. So it could have the opposite effect.

I suppose there is also always the option of taking LRT instead, but for some commuters that is unfathomable.
Agreed, it definitely could. One potential issue would be looking at the owned (non-rental) market, Downtown has lower suitability for families due to the shortage of single-detached and 3+ bedroom residences. Still, the commute-related inconvenience to young professionals could make it worth the move downtown.

I lived downtown myself for a few years, and I loved it. I still don't think it's somewhere I would stay in a family situation.

This is a problem with recent downtown developments in most cities. Most of the recent developments in the GTA and GVA are very, very tiny condos.

At least here in Edmonton spaces are generally larger than there and some of the older condo buildings have very good sized units, but most are only two bedrooms.

Interesting take - with the LRT connecting both so efficiently

Yeah... when I was at UofA, most of my friends didn't have cars, or (if they did), seldom used them. Even when I was in law school, I knew very few people who drove to class. I know the LRT gets a bad rap these days especially, but, as far as I can see, it's still used in a very robust way by students.

Back