News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Certainly improving, but A LONG way to go.

Downtown, prices need to rise $50-100sqft min and likely far more for some buildings.

There is a little ray of hope out there, but will it persist and drive interest, demand and a market for central product? That is still VERY much to be seen.

Selling a $5 million house in the GTA or Vancouver and buying a similar one here for a lot less sure would do wonders for the purchasers overall financial position. I do think some smart people will cash out of those markets.

Selling a $5 million house in the GTA or Vancouver and buying a similar one here for a lot less sure would do wonders for the purchasers overall financial position. I do think some smart people will cash out of those markets.
The passive income you could get, alone, would probably allow one to retire if they wanted. A dividend portfolio with a very conservative 4% yield a year, on $3.5M, would get you about $10k/month after taxes.

An owner in my condo building in the core relisted his one bedroom unit last week on a Wednesday and got an offer on Saturday.
It was listed at $10,000 less than previously though. But it had been listed for months in 2023.

Probably a combo of the right price and a market getting stronger.

Reading this shit while still being about 1.5 years away from my timeline goal of buying a house makes me want to throw up. God housing is so fucked in this country.

Just chatting with a major developer in Calgary - typically the market has 5 months of inventory... they are under a month right now. He sold 79 condos in January in -30C, a record month by more than 30% and has raised his prices by 15% because of that in a month. That's 2.5 units a day in a single project... unreal.

Curious to see the January stats for Edmonton.

As an (almost) 20 something, I've already accepted I'll never be able to afford to own my own home. However, it has occurred to me that the model of homeownership being the gold standard and the ultimate symbol of success in life was never a sustainable model, much like North American suburbs themselves.

God housing is so fucked in this country.

I wouldn't say Canada is the only, or even the worst culprit. It's quite bad here, but it's very bad in most western, developed countries right now, across the board.

Back