News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's cheaper and our urban core (principally the Downtown) is simply not there in terms of quality of experience, attractiveness, housing options, transit and retail/hipness.

All these people moving here and yet, despite the push for TOD's, living in the DT etc, the bulk of that growth remains in the suburban communities. What does that tells ya?!
Many people moving here from dense metro areas in BC and Ontario, are moving here for the opportunity to have a house with a yard and garage and to start a family, which isn't a realistic option for them there

Last edited:
This article is a bit more about Calgary, but is an insightful comparison between a number of US and Canadian cities, including mentioning Edmonton.

I also find the Alberta - Texas comparisons interesting, particularly the mention of the success Texas has had with diversifying its economy.

Calgary homes similar in price to Dallas​

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 7.32.32 PM.png

We’re looking pretty good comparatively!
Yes, the asking rent here is actually quite in line with other cities of a similar size although the vacancy rate is slightly above the national average by about 1.4%.

Not much significant new construction in most places, except Vancouver which has always had vacancy on the lower side so probably needs it and TO which probably thought at the time it was needed, but maybe now not.

It strikes me how the amount of office space in Vancouver is only about the same as Calgary which is half its size and it is considerably behind the bigger eastern cities.

And a lot of IT demand for Vancouver in recent years. So I think it was out of whack with the size of the market and is now being corrected.

Back