News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What do you think of a Hyperloop between Edmonton and Calgary?

• Total voters
You are now saying that this project caters to the small percentage of the population that doesn't own a vehicle, I will be generous and say 30%. The market has now shrunk from 3 million to 900,000 people living along the corridor, tourists might only add a max of 100,000. Let's take a look at freight, a self driving truck will be much cheaper to operate than using the hyperloop because it will go from any point to point whereas the hyperloop is stuck with going from station to station. Good luck in trying to make the hyperloop work, I don't see it happening.

Not everyone can afford their own vehicles. Some people don't want to be near strangers, but others don't want to deal with the hassle of owning a vehicle and paying for insurance, maintenance, etc. Plus mass transit helps to reduce traffic congestion. Maybe self driving cars could help avoid traffic jams, but they're still less efficient crowd movers.
You don’t need to own a private vehicle to ride in one. You could probably rent one to get to Calgary for less than $90 and if you took 2 other people slong for the ride it would only cost you $30 each instead of $90.

You don’t need to own a private vehicle to ride in one. You could probably rent one to get to Calgary for less than $90 and if you took 2 other people slong for the ride it would only cost you $30 each instead of $90.
That's a fair point, but I don't think that technology is at a point where we should be banking on it as the next big thing to connect the Calgary-Edmonton corridor. Mind you, I'm not sold on the hyperloop either. I just wish we'd spend the money for a proper rail connection like so many other jurisdictions already do. It's like the transit situation here, I think @archited is the one who said it. Locally, LRT is the transit solution that makes sense here. The "next generation" could very well be something else, whether it be self driving vehicles or another technology we haven't conceived of yet. If we scale it up provincially, I think we need something in the interim while self driving technology commercializes and matures. Perhaps it'll become the norm later on, or perhaps something else will. But we need something now nonetheless.

If this hyperloop can really go ahead with private financing, great. If it flops and investors lose their money, cool. I'm ok with it because the province isn't an investor, and the company has provided a timeline that's relatively short-term. It doesn't mean we'll have hyperloop in a few years, but we'll certainly have an idea of how honest this company is with their promises. And if we get our answer that it's a failure, and self-driving technology isn't close to a point where it can replace a mass-transit service in this corridor, I truly hope that this hyperloop concept revitalizes the conversation of completing a rail connection in this corridor. I'm not against self-driving vehicles by any means, I just don't want to neglect infrastructure investment because there's a possibility of something different being used in the future.

That's a fair point, but I don't think that technology is at a point where we should be banking on it as the next big thing to connect the Calgary-Edmonton corridor. Mind you, I'm not sold on the hyperloop either. I just wish we'd spend the money for a proper rail connection like so many other jurisdictions already do. It's like the transit situation here, I think @archited is the one who said it. Locally, LRT is the transit solution that makes sense here. The "next generation" could very well be something else, whether it be self driving vehicles or another technology we haven't conceived of yet. If we scale it up provincially, I think we need something in the interim while self driving technology commercializes and matures. Perhaps it'll become the norm later on, or perhaps something else will. But we need something now nonetheless.

If this hyperloop can really go ahead with private financing, great. If it flops and investors lose their money, cool. I'm ok with it because the province isn't an investor, and the company has provided a timeline that's relatively short-term. It doesn't mean we'll have hyperloop in a few years, but we'll certainly have an idea of how honest this company is with their promises. And if we get our answer that it's a failure, and self-driving technology isn't close to a point where it can replace a mass-transit service in this corridor, I truly hope that this hyperloop concept revitalizes the conversation of completing a rail connection in this corridor. I'm not against self-driving vehicles by any means, I just don't want to neglect infrastructure investment because there's a possibility of something different being used in the future.
Lets hope the City does not get stuck with the cost to clean up the orphan wells ... oh I mean the downtown station if it becomes an albatross ... after all they are not laying down rail tracks ... the elevated structure and transport tubes have only one use and can't be repurposed.

Edmonton should step in and prevent them from building a white elephant scar within the city. There is absolutely zero mention of what the maintenance budget might be like. They are essentially building the world's longest bridge between Edmonton and Calgary. A major catastrophe can happen if any of those supports were to shift ever so slightly. This is guaranteed to happen given our extreme climate. Even if they give allowances for shifting, that slight jolt on the ride will turn passengers away.

This seems to me like a fantasy. I mean really, we haven't even had any type of passenger rail service between Edmonton and Calgary for decades. This doesn't seem to indicate some huge unmet need to me.

Yes, the highway can be congested and increasingly so, but there are also flights between the two cities. It seems to me the province could add a lane or two where needed (not all sections of the highway are congested) for much less than the cost of this. Personally, I think we should look at other options other than expanding the road, partly for environmental reasons. I think we need to first revisit regular rail or high speed rail. Cost and ridership might determine which works best, but both are existing and proven technologies.

A few years ago, I took the train from Montreal to Ottawa (not high speed) and I really liked it. Montreal kept the downtown station, so it was very convenient to get to via the metro. Ottawa unfortunately made the mistake Edmonton and moved their station to a less convenient location, so I had to take a taxi to my downtown location. The train is more spacious than buses or planes, it was like I was riding in first class and paying economy fare. I think the trip was a bit longer than by bus, but not significantly so. Its too bad the passenger rail network was totally gutted in the west years ago.

L L
Edmonton should step in and prevent them from building a white elephant scar within the city. There is absolutely zero mention of what the maintenance budget might be like. They are essentially building the world's longest bridge between Edmonton and Calgary. A major catastrophe can happen if any of those supports were to shift ever so slightly. This is guaranteed to happen given our extreme climate. Even if they give allowances for shifting, that slight jolt on the ride will turn passengers away.
Tourists attraction? ”Come see our partially built unique hyperloop”

They didn't respond to my question about why they think it'll be successful, given that it's an unproven technology right now. But, they did respond to my other two. They want to start construction on the EIA-Edmonton stretch in 2023, finish in 2025 for certification, open it to cargo in 2026, and passengers in 2027. If the airport stretch is not successful, they'll convert it to a conventional rail track.

Just going to say that in some ways, the Chinese HSR system is the world's "longest" bridge :)

They didn't respond to my question about why they think it'll be successful, given that it's an unproven technology right now. But, they did respond to my other two. They want to start construction on the EIA-Edmonton stretch in 2023, finish in 2025 for certification, open it to cargo in 2026, and passengers in 2027. If the airport stretch is not successful, they'll convert it to a conventional rail track.
Where is "Downtown, Alberta"?

1625513709620.png

I'm very skeptical of them acquiring the right of way and station location within two years :|

I've loved this project for a while, and I fully believe that the government and VIA should do something similar (maybe a bit smaller in scale) with our corridor here. Ordering new modern trains, straightening sections of track, building passing loops, and removing more grade crossings for even just a 150-170 kph service would be amazing in the midterm until the hyperloop/HSR is built, then it could serve as a connector service for people in the corridor to get to the hyperloop/HSR.

Back