What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think this was posted in another thread, but Rogers Place is hosting a WNBA exhibition game on Sunday May 5; the Los Angeles Sparks vs. the Seattle Storm. This will be only the second time a WNBA game has been played in Canada. I am wondering if this is a test game for the WNBA and the OEG to gauge if there is enough interest here to support a WNBA team. It would be great if we can get a large crowd for this game and maybe put Edmonton on the WNBA's radar for any expansion franchises. It looks like the WNBA has a 40 game regular season running from mid May to mid September (or so). According to statista.com, the average attendance for a WNBA game was 6,615 during the 2023 regular season. It would be great to get another professional sports franchise here filling dates at Rogers during what is a rather soft part of the event calendar (i.e. hockey off-season). Having another 7,000+ people downtown over 20 nights (average of one night per week) over the May to September time frame would be great for Rogers and our downtown core. Here's hoping for a big crowd on May 5. Based on the tickets sales to date we may get that - by eye, it looks like about 50% of the tickets are already sold (see below).
WNBA Game ticket sales_March 28.png

My only concern with a PWHL Edmonton team is where will they play? While I'd love to see them at Rogers Place, it already has the Oilers and the Oil Kings scheduled.
How many openings days Rogers have in a year and what % are currently occupied across the hockey teams and concerts? I’d imagine there’s still some decent margin?

Looking at the next few months, here are event days at Rogers. Seems like there’s space for 2 games/week to slide in there most weeks.

Back